Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

SMART failure predicted on hard drive + past issues

This is a discussion on SMART failure predicted on hard drive + past issues within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Ive actually been experiencing this issue for quite a while, where the computer displays a bootup message indicating a

Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
CCj
Registered Member

Hi Ive actually been experiencing this issue for quite a while, where the computer displays a bootup message indicating a smart failure predicted on harddrive...press F1 to continue. I have a gateway nv59 laptop and since replacing a laptop with similar specs is quite expensive Ive considered to just replace the harddrive but I would like to make sure that it is the harddrive's problem thats affecting my laptop.

Here are the issues prior to the display of this message:
Since about a year ago, the computer has been experiencing with frequent "lags", where opening a folder or maybe startup can freeze for a bit with that loading icon. As time passes, the loading becomes more frequent and the loading times seem to be longer too, ranging from 5-20 seconds sometimes. This doesn't occur for games or for HD movies so I can only assume my graphics card (Ati radoen HD 5650) is working fine.

About half a year ago, my computer started having issues with startup. Usually if I shutdown after doing many things such as using word, downloading, watching tv etc., the computer would have a hard time starting up, sometimes it takes forever to start up (like 20mins?) or sometimes it displays blue screen of death and that indicates me to just restore PC through gateway backup or whatever to either restore it to an earlier time which never works, or reinstall a fresh copy of Win7. This didn't bother me at first as I always had an external HDD so I could care less about my data but it did annoy me as the boot time is longer than the time I usually use it. In summary, my PC has a "short-term" memory where stuff can ONLY be stored if hibernate/sleep and would almost definitely be lost if shutdown or restart. The hibernate process also lasts only for about a month before the PC would fail to load up saved stuff.

Until about a month ago, my computer started displaying this message. As mentioned above, sometiems the computer won't start if shutdown so I MUST hibernate/sleep to "save" my data. When the hibernation process worked, I could easily load up my saved stuff and continue using this computer despite the smart prediction prompt, but recently, my PC finally forced me to shutdown and ever since I cannot startup.

Since gateway backup is stored also on the main drive, C drive, it refuses to boot and help me reinstall windows.

SO the question is, and I apologize for the wall of text, what should I do now? SHould I just get a replacement and find a tutorial on replacing it or would I need to actually replace + repair it at a shop like bestbuy?

Also, I don't have a copy of Win7 on disk, but I do have a backup disc for my gateway laptop made when I first purchased this laptop. If I replaced the harddisk, would I be able to save money by using this backup disk or would that not work? THanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Smart = bad drive. Which sucks, but you can just replace the drive if you want. In the end it is up to you on whether you want to replace the hard drive or not. If the laptop is in good shape and you like it, then it might be worth it to you. If you have recovery discs that were made when you got the computer you should be able to do a restore from them. Replacing the drive itself isn't all that hard. We can help you do that as well as help you to get the recovery going with your restore discs.

Computers help us fix problems that we would not have without them...

Shekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
CCj
Registered Member

Lol thanks for the reply, I would imagine reading my wall of text is a hassle but let me address the real issue here.

The PC dosn't start up, it won't even boot the integrated backup option. The disc won't work either cause, well its a HDD issue, I doubt reinstalling Windows would do any good.

Also, do you know the general costs of regular replacement for a decent HDD or replace + repair cost at like bestbuy?

Also, how do I set the boot order of PC (after replacement) so that I can use my backup disc to reinstall windows?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

It was pretty long but that's ok! Detail is a good thing.

I know the system won't boot right now with the hdd being bad, but in the bios you should be able to change the boot order. Here the cost of a 500gb sata hard drive is around $100 cdn.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
CCj
Registered Member

Ahh I see, thats not too bad for the cost. Is it better if I replace this myself or is it better for me to get it repaired? I am just afraid being a beginner, I might actually damage some computer hardwares in the process of attempting to replace the HDD?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Moderator - Networking

If your not comfortable with doing it, then it might be in your best interest to have it replaced at a repair shop. We can help you a bit, but being online its not as easy as being there to show someone how to properly do it.

There are guides that can be found however. You can google your laptop model and search for something like: how to replace hard drive in X laptop

You will probably find what you need.

As for costs to have a repair shop replace you should call around to your local stores and as for a estimate.