Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Screen comes on then goes black...

This is a discussion on Screen comes on then goes black... within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Dell Inspiron 6000 screen/desktop all of a sudden went from being on & working fine to completely black. I

Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

My Dell Inspiron 6000 screen/desktop all of a sudden went from being on & working fine to completely black. I powered it off then powered it on and it would stay on for a few minutes. I just powered it off then on and after the Windows XP welcome screen it went completely black, no image. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Can I use an external monitor as a screen/desktop? I need help & suggestions desperately because this is the laptop I'm using in college; all my work is on it but I can't see anything to back it up to an external hard drive what should I do?
Thanks, Rob

Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

If you can get your hands on a VGA cable and monitor, you can hook the laptop up and use the external display.

There should be a FN key that has a picture of a monitor/TV on it or that says "CRT/LCD". If you push the FN key + whatever function key it happens to be on, you should be able to force Windows to use the external monitor if it doesn't try to use that external display automatically.

From the looks of the pictures I've seen of the 6000 model, F8 should have the blue text that says "CRT/LCD". Your mileage may vary, though.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si1ent View Post
If you can get your hands on a VGA cable and monitor, you can hook the laptop up and use the external display.

There should be a FN key that has a picture of a monitor/TV on it or that says "CRT/LCD". If you push the FN key + whatever function key it happens to be on, you should be able to force Windows to use the external monitor if it doesn't try to use that external display automatically.

From the looks of the pictures I've seen of the 6000 model, F8 should have the blue text that says "CRT/LCD". Your mileage may vary, though.
GREAT, I'll try it and hope it works.
I'll post back and let you know if it did.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Using an external monitor with a VGA cord; working now, laptop screen DEAD. Thanks for the replys.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

shine a strong light onto the screen and see if you see anything in the background

it is probably the backlight/inverter has gone