Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Samsung R530 'Plugged in, not charging'

This is a discussion on Samsung R530 'Plugged in, not charging' within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My original laptop (Samsung R530) battery deteriorated over time and I was receiving messages telling me it could not hold

Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

My original laptop (Samsung R530) battery deteriorated over time and I was receiving messages telling me it could not hold a full charge and to 'consider replacing your battery.' Eventually it could not hold a charge at all so I bought a new one.

The replacement battery arrived today and is fine. It was charged to 90% which is it's limit but I received the message 'Plugged in, not charging'. I bought the battery so that I might use the laptop independently of the AC adapter once again but it looks like once I've used up the 2 hour life on the battery, I will have to use the adapter again as it will not charge the battery.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this before and if they have a fix.

I've found several versions of the same fix on the internet:
1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager.
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall.
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.

This fix didn't work for me. On switching on laptop and checking the Device Manager again, Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery had returned.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello lincolnhawk and welcome to TSF,

There is likely an issue with the battery or the charger.

Does your charger have a thin center pin?

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
Hello lincolnhawk and welcome to TSF,

There is likely an issue with the battery or the charger.

Does your charger have a thin center pin?
It does. Last night I allowed the battery to drop to 70% before plugging in the AC adapter again. It then charged to 80% before stopping. I was wondering if this is normal.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnhawk View Post
It does. Last night I allowed the battery to drop to 70% before plugging in the AC adapter again. It then charged to 80% before stopping. I was wondering if this is normal.
Yes it is if you have battery life extender option active. This is available both in BIOS and Samsung software.
If the battery is new, you should allow it to charge to 100% first 10 times for the battery to reach his maximum potential.

Try Harder!
Learn2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn2day View Post
Yes it is if you have battery life extender option active. This is available both in BIOS and Samsung software.
If the battery is new, you should allow it to charge to 100% first 10 times for the battery to reach his maximum potential.
This option was probably something that I've made active when I was told to consider replacing my previous battery. How might I go about deactivating this option so that my battery might reach it's full potential? Thanks for your help so far!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Maybe i can write it a bit more dramatic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn2day View Post
This is available both in BIOS and Samsung software.
After 10 re-charges i recommend you re-enable the option, it will extend your battery life from 300 to 1000 cycles (based on Samsung batteries)..

Try Harder!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

If I am correct, what this software does is prevent your battery from charging until it drops below a certain percentage.

I have had similar issues with other laptops that use similar systems (My ASUS). On mine, the battery would show as "plugged in not charging" until the battery was under 85%. I removed the ASUS software early on and haven't had to deal with it since. I also, regularly, use my laptop on battery rather than having it plugged in all the time.

The main reason for this software is to prevent battery damage. When a battery is kept at full charge it's life can degrade. If you notice, most consumer products that have rechargeable batteries are shipped and stored at 50 to 75% and require a charging OOB.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Sorry, can you elaborate OOB? Didn't got it..

Try Harder!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Out Of Box
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks!

Try Harder!
Gear in this thread