Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

RESOLVED Fan error IBM

This is a discussion on RESOLVED Fan error IBM within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! I had a FAN ERROR message in the top left corner while switch on my laptop IBM Think Pad

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi!
I had a FAN ERROR message in the top left corner while switch on my laptop IBM Think Pad Lenovo T60p.
After this message the screen and the laptop itself turn down.
I am very afraid, what can it be? What do I have to do to resolve it? Did I do something wrong?
Thanks for your help.
Are there some tips or hints to do to avoid this problem?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try giving the laptop a good blowing out with a can of compressed air. See if the fan is bad or just so full of dust it can not move.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi,

Also check that the 2-pin power connector for the fan is connected to the motherboard and not unplugged.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatt View Post
Hi,

Also check that the 2-pin power connector for the fan is connected to the motherboard and not unplugged.
Hi All,
Thanks for your answers, it is all right now I think it was just some dust...
Regards,
Jessy
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Glad it is resolved.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #6

I just had this same error and solved it. Solution below

Machine: Lenovo Z60t, XPSP2

How I caused it: I took off as many screws as I could to get in to the back panel to spray out the fan for periodic cleaning as I felt the laptop getting hot the last few weeks. Incidentally, I couldnt get the back off and ended up rescrewing those I had taken out and aborting. I instead sprayed air through the 2 vents and in to the fan grate itself. Lots of dust came out.

When I tried turning it on, i got the same 2 beeps and "FAN ERROR" followed by shutdown. 3-4 times. Freaked out totally.

Solution: Some sort of power issue to the fan. In cleaning the laptop I had taken off the battery. When I reattached it, I forgot to slide the hardware swith for the battery from "unlocked" to the "locked" icon. As soon as I switched it back to LOCKED, it booted up fine.

Odd that such a physical hardware switch that seemingly seems entirely non electronic held the answer. Phew!

Added: Sunday, 1 June, 2008
Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

thanks a lot for the suggestion it has helped me resolve my fan error on my IBM laptop. what i did was i just blowed some air through both the vents for fan ( literally i could see the dust coming out ). and there is no fan error when i restarted it.

thanks a lot for the help
bye takecare

trinath
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utleo.com View Post
I just had this same error and solved it. Solution below

Machine: Lenovo Z60t, XPSP2

How I caused it: I took off as many screws as I could to get in to the back panel to spray out the fan for periodic cleaning as I felt the laptop getting hot the last few weeks. Incidentally, I couldnt get the back off and ended up rescrewing those I had taken out and aborting. I instead sprayed air through the 2 vents and in to the fan grate itself. Lots of dust came out.

When I tried turning it on, i got the same 2 beeps and "FAN ERROR" followed by shutdown. 3-4 times. Freaked out totally.

Solution: Some sort of power issue to the fan. In cleaning the laptop I had taken off the battery. When I reattached it, I forgot to slide the hardware swith for the battery from "unlocked" to the "locked" icon. As soon as I switched it back to LOCKED, it booted up fine.

Odd that such a physical hardware switch that seemingly seems entirely non electronic held the answer. Phew!

Added: Sunday, 1 June, 2008
Hi, I face the same problem and my laptop is T60p, I trying checking all thing, but the fan also face error. When I checking the power of fan, it's only 3-5V, not (5V). Please help me to solve the problems.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

hi, i found the same problem. When I turned power on, there was a message showed "Fan error". I resolved follow your recommend, it worked. Thank you : )