Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[resolved] DVD Player Won't Play-Create Overlay Failed: Lower Screen Resolution

This is a discussion on [resolved] DVD Player Won't Play-Create Overlay Failed: Lower Screen Resolution within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I tried to play a DVD on WinDVD Platinum and when the screen opens it says "create overlay failed: Please

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I tried to play a DVD on WinDVD Platinum and when the screen opens it says "create overlay failed: Please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again".
I went into my Control Panel/Resolution and lowered it down... even went as far as to lower it as far as it goes and it still pulls up the same screen.
It worked prior to me reinstalling Windows XP this last time so I know this laptop will play DVDs (course, it has a DVD Player so of course it plays DVDs), just need to get past this error message.

Please help me determine what I can do to fix this and get my DVDs playing again. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WinDVD Platinum software too just to be sure it installed correctly.

1024 x 768 is the highest resolution on my computer
800 x 600 is the lowest.

Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

When you reinstalled Windows did you update your graphics drivers and DirectX?

Also, check in Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced, and open the Troubleshoot tab (or Performance tab for Win98). If the Hardware Acceleration slider is set to None, try increasing it to Full, then reboot.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 08-12-2005, 03:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

I looked at the Advanced Tab/Troubleshoot and the slider for hardware acceleration was already kicked up all the way.
Can you please tell me how to check to see if I have a graphics driver and Direct x?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:57 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You already have a graphics driver (or you wouldn't see anything on your monitor) and probably DirectX, but they might be corrupt or need updating.

What graphics card have you got? You can download the latest WinXP drivers from the manufacturers website, and DirectX from www.microsoft.com/windows/directx

Post back if this doesn't solve it and we'll try something else.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 08-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

You guys did it again! You helped me with my problem. What can't you guys do? It was my Direct X. I needed to download the latest 9.0 version of Direct X. Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

HELLO:
I HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM BUT I DID EVERYTHING SHE DID INCLUDING DOWNLOADING from that website you suggested(which cured her problem) but I STILL GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE! (CREATE OVERLAY ETC ETC) --BUMMER!! ANY OTHER IDEAS?
If this helps I remember I accidently deleted/erased the AVI file and then this all started happening. BUT I downloaded another AVI file and it still does not work. ugh.
Closed Thread