Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Resetting Acer Aspire 5515 Laptop..

This is a discussion on Resetting Acer Aspire 5515 Laptop.. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. What did u do exactly? Did u format the partition dat had vista in it or did u delete the

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #21
Registered Member

What did u do exactly? Did u format the partition dat had vista in it or did u delete the partitions on the laptop even the one wit da recovery system? Or is the recovery partition still there? Re-install an os to use the recovery partition...download the acer empowerment software to how u say...reset ur lappie. ;)

Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
Registered Member

Ok
in there bios is there an option to enable or disable D2D or system restore, or a fn+f12 key?
First you need to set that partition as active because right now it isn't. Try and get yourself a partition tool that will let you set the partition as active.
I think i used this one http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm when i installed windows 7 on my netbook and hated it, but couldn't reinstall xp because it changed the boot sector.
i downloaded this lil program and checked out to see if i stll had the recovery partition and yes it was still there, but since it was set as inactive i couldn't use it. With in the program (partition software) i only set the non lettered recovery partition to active, and the pc restarted itself. When it did it took me to the recovery section and from there i restored windows xp back to it's original state when bought brand new. I didn't use any disc at all.

Don't know if what i said is useful to you or not, but it might work.
(if what i said was confusing just google up how to set a partition as active)

Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #23
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via MSN to Kyle Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_kendall View Post
Ok
in there bios is there an option to enable or disable D2D or system restore, or a fn+f12 key?
First you need to set that partition as active because right now it isn't. Try and get yourself a partition tool that will let you set the partition as active.
I think i used this one http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm when i installed windows 7 on my netbook and hated it, but couldn't reinstall xp because it changed the boot sector.
i downloaded this lil program and checked out to see if i stll had the recovery partition and yes it was still there, but since it was set as inactive i couldn't use it. With in the program (partition software) i only set the non lettered recovery partition to active, and the pc restarted itself. When it did it took me to the recovery section and from there i restored windows xp back to it's original state when bought brand new. I didn't use any disc at all.

Hello, leo.
Thanks you for your reply.
I downloaded the Partition Manager, and it appears I have 2 Partitions.

Partition - Type
*: - Other
C: - NTFS

Would this "Other"-type partition be the recovery/unlettered partition you are speaking of? If so, then I just set that one as active? And yes, there is an option such as "D2D Recovery" in my BIOS.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Ok

Okay, EDIT:
Ever since I installed the Partition manager on my Laptop, I restarted my computer (I didn't do anything with the Manager), and now my computer will not boot up. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Registered Member

do the computer go pass the POST screen (bios?)
and if so what error do you get?
If you cannot even get to the bios, you may have a hard drive problem.
In your bios set everything as default.
Then go back and make sure D2D is enable, save the changes and reboot.
as soon as the pc starts up just hitting fn+F10 i believe. in the eariler post i said f12, i ment f10. f12 just took you to a boot screen.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
do the computer go pass the POST screen (bios?)
and if so what error do you get?
If you cannot even get to the bios, you may have a hard drive problem.
In your bios set everything as default.
Then go back and make sure D2D is enable, save the changes and reboot.
as soon as the pc starts up just hitting fn+F10 i believe. in the eariler post i said f12, i ment f10. f12 just took you to a boot screen.
Ever since I posted that it wouldn't boot up, I got it to boot. At the time it wouldn't even show the POST. Anyways, I don't think I'll be doing this, just in case my Laptop doesn't support that.