Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Red lines appear on screen

This is a discussion on Red lines appear on screen within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Can you help me to find out about the problem with my laptop screen. I have got HP Pavilion

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi,

Can you help me to find out about the problem with my laptop screen.

I have got HP Pavilion 9646em, AMD Turin 64 x 2 TL 58 Processor, 1.9 GHz, 1600, MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache, 2 GB, 160 GB, Window Vista (R) Home Premium. The laptop is five months old and has been seldomly used at home.

My problem is, many red lines have started appearing on the screen of the laptop. Earlier they started appearing on the screen for few moments only but now they always appear on the screen.

Some times on particular angle of the screen for some moment the red line do not appear, but after some time they start appearing again. I think the problem is getting worse day by day.

Can u please help me to find out, actually what the problem is & is the problem because of spyware, virus or hardware malfunctioning and what is the solution for the problem.

Thanks for your expert advise.

Negi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red line Screen.JPG
Views:	857
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	31682  

Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Hi DS Negi,

I saw the image you attached and I see some red lines like scattered all over. Is that the one you mean? Would it be clearer if you use a different wallpaper?

Try with an external monitor and observe if the red lines still appear. Also go into BIOS settings and also observe if the red lines presents itself in that BIOS settings screen.

Given the image, I think it could be the video card... but then again

Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Trigger finger,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes those are the red lines scattered all over the screen. These lines appear even if I use different wall papers although the lines appear with less density in few wall papers, may be because of wall paper background.

Suprisingly some times they do not appear at all on any angle of the screen, whereas other times they do not disappear on any angle.

Is there a possibility that video card might have become loose on its port and needs to be put in proper place again, by pressing it (as we do in case of desk top computers, I do not know much about laptops).

please let me know how to go to BIOS settings.

Once again thanks for your help.

Negi
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

I used to have this problem On my old laptop. Make sure no wires going to GFX card are loose Because that was what was rong with mine
Hope this helped.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what video chip is in it
Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Negi View Post
Hi Trigger finger,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes those are the red lines scattered all over the screen. These lines appear even if I use different wall papers although the lines appear with less density in few wall papers, may be because of wall paper background.

Suprisingly some times they do not appear at all on any angle of the screen, whereas other times they do not disappear on any angle.

Is there a possibility that video card might have become loose on its port and needs to be put in proper place again, by pressing it (as we do in case of desk top computers, I do not know much about laptops).

please let me know how to go to BIOS settings.

Once again thanks for your help.

Negi
Please provide information needed by dai.

To go into BIOS, try tapping on F1 when HP logo appears.

Did you try with an external monitor? If it works well with an external monitor, then you may want to reseat the video cable. This would require you to open the laptop up. Hmmm, wait... is this laptop still under warranty? If so, opening it up would void the warranty. Consider bringing it back to HP for proper repair and replacement (if ever).
Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi, Scorp1543, Dai & Trigger Finger, Thanks for your replies,

My laptop has 'NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS' display adaptor.

Regarding my warranty, HP UK has informed me that my warranty is valid only in UK. I had bought my HP laptop in UK but now I am staying out side of UK.

Earlier I was having Acer 5612 & 1652 laptops that gave me years of trouble free service & I never needed to use warranty for above laptops, but since the day I have bought this HP laptop, I have been facing lot of problems one after one. I do not know if the problem is there with all the HP models.

Since yesterday, my laptop's screen is not giving any trouble. After the red lines appear again I will try this laptop using some other monitor.

Thanks once again for your all the expert advises in this regard.

Negi
Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Warranty in UK only? I find that strange not to mention funny. These things are for mobile computing. Unless the meaning of mobile is for within UK only then that would explain it... geez. Or may be they have another offer like an international warranty that you buy separately.. that would also explain why.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have a read of this
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...op-owners.aspx
Old 07-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Hi Trigger Finger & Dai,

Thanks for your expert advise. I read the article - http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...op-owners.aspx, you had given to me. I think the article says the truth. There have been temperature fluctuations in my laptop. A few times its CPU was so hot that it was painful/difficult to touch the bottom of the laptop.

I think this is the reason, why red lines started appearing on my laptop's screen, as the article says.

I am thankful to you for keeping me updated.

Negi

ps - I bought & tried to use a special laptop base that has three small fans & it takes power from laptop through USB, but I think my laptop does not produce enough power to run that base. Can u give me some suggestions about external power supply or any other solution to this problem.

Negi
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

As for the cooling pad, it depends really on what you have right now. Some cooling pads have an extra female jack aside from the USB so you can plug in a power adapter. Some have 3 USB connectors, 2 on one end and 1 on the other. The single USB connector goes to the cooling pad while the end with two USB connectors plugs into the laptop. Only one is used if power is sufficient but if not you need to use the two together.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Hi Trigger finger,

Thanks for your expert advise.

As you advised me, I checked my laptop with external CVT monitor. There were no red circled lines appearing on external monitor & desktop and other screens were crystal clear whereas at the same time my laptop’s screen was showing red circled lines. I am enclosing here with two types of pictures. Most of the screen picture are bad and have red lines whereas few are good ones. Very rarely, when red circle lines did not appear on my laptop’s screen, I took pictures of good laptop screen.

Surprisingly if I put a total blue screen (by creating a blue background on the paint and setting that as desktop screen) the red lines do not appear on the screen. Also any programme that has white background like Microsoft word, excel or yahoo messenger, do not show any red circle lines. You can see that only dark blue color area on the desktop screen shows the red circle lines but surprisingly, as I earlier said the blue screen created on paint does not show any red circle lines with in the image.

Also I have noticed that keeping the laptop switched off for few hours make the red circled lines disappeared for few hours of working, until I switch on the elctric power supply to laptop. May be it is because the laptop gets heated.

Waiting for your expert advise again as I am Still avoiding to send my laptop by air parcel to HP, UK for service under guarantee, as generally the parcels are mishandled with jerks in transit.

Thanks for your all the help in this regard.

Negi

PS : I am enclosing herewith few images for your viewing. I have written on the bottom of the images, whether the image is bad or good.

Negi
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen when bad-1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	32794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen when good-1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	32795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen when bad-2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	32796  

Name:	Screen when good-2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	32797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen when bad-3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	32798  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

By the looks of it, it seems you really have a problem with the video card/motherboard. Sometimes this is caused by the LCD but given the information about the problematic video card model on these laptops, I am convinced this has to be connected to that more than it is with the LCD.

You can try what I usually try but it sounds far fetched. But if you are willing to do the extra step just to know that it is not software related, run a liveCD (Knoppix or PCLinuxOS) if you have not done so yet. Try any one of these distros which one would work in your laptop. Observe if the red thingies still show up. Frankly this is very unlikely but if you want to pursue then it could help rule out Windows or Windows drivers.

Closed Thread