Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Problem with Compaq Presario CQ50

This is a discussion on Problem with Compaq Presario CQ50 within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, all. I'm back again. I have recently gotten a new Laptop, an HP Compaq Presario CQ50. Up until recently,

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, all. I'm back again.

I have recently gotten a new Laptop, an HP Compaq Presario CQ50. Up until recently, it has been working perfectly.

However, a few days ago, it started acting weird. It was getting very hot, and actually shut itself down a few times. So, I went out and bought a cooling pad, and for a while, all seemed well.

Well, today, my laptop decided that it wanted to shut off, and not turn back on. I have tried everything I can think of, and even did some research.

I have unplugged the power supply and removed it from the laptop, taken the battery out, then plugged the power supply back in, and it didn't work.

Someone told me to take out the power supply, then the battery, wait a few minutes, but the battery back in, then plug the power supply back in. That didn't work, either.

When I hit the power button when the battery is out with the power supply in, no lights blink. There are three lights in the bottom left of the laptop.

When I press the power button while both the battery and the power supply is in, the middle light blinks white 3 times, and the computer doesn't boot up.

You guys did an amazing job helping me last time, hopefully you can do the same again :)

Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

First thing I would do is to test your ac adapter with a volt meter, make sure its putting out the proper amount.

or another way is to use another ac adapter, but make sure the adapter is the same voltage as what the laptop needs, and that the amps are the same or higher than the laptop.

you can find out what the laptop needs by looking at the bottom, it will look like 19v 3.95a, or 24v 6.84a. The same thing will be on ac adapters on the sticker.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I have no volt meter nor a separate AC Adapter, which I think may be the problem. haha

Is there anything else you would recommend for me to try in the mean time?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

which light is blinking? is it the one that looks like a bolt of lightning?

or is it the caps lock or num lock LED's?

also whats the exact model nubmer of the laptop? there are alot of cq50's
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, it's the one that looks like a bolt of lightning. It flashes three times when I hit the power button with the cord plugged in and the battery in.

It's a CQ50-108NR
Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ok, Three flashes of the lightning bolt means the computer isn't seeing the memory, or bad memory. Reseat the memory and try again, if you have two sticks of memory, take one out and try it, swap slots and try it again, take it out and put the other stick in and do the same thing. Hopefully one of those will work for you, if one stick works and not the other, then you can replace the one that doesn't work. If neither work, then try and see if you can get a stick of memory that does work or a new one.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

I have pretty much the same problem with my presario cq50 I don't even use the battery anymore cuz it over heats in like a minute and the speakers get so hot so quickly plus it's so load as well like the fans and stuff I haven't gotten a cooling pad yet but I might it's so ridiculous
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #8

My System

my cq-50 works perfectly. for over a year now
That must have made a bad batch of mobo's or something like that.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

i've had mine for about 2 and a half years and it jus started acting up does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it cooler or anything?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #10

My System

sounds like it is giving the wrong voltage to the battery causing it to heat up. Try another charger?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Registered Member

i dont have a spare AC adaptor but i have the hp advisor program and when my battery is plugged in it says its in poor condition...i dont know how long it has been in poor condition and i havent had my battery plugged in for quite some time so its always plugged into the wall on or off and same when the battery was in always plugged into the wall...and also like i've said before it heats up very quickly and also the left speaker gets hot as well. do u think i shud get a cooling pad?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #12

My System

definantly get a cooler. They are cheap.
Sounds like there is something wrong with your power input. It has put the wrong voltage in the laptop, and the battery has suffered from it. A new power cable might solve the problem, or borrow one if a local shop has one.
A new battery should be purchased to test it out also, or borrowed.
Check local shops.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Registered Member

this is my second AC adaptor that i've had, my 1st one the original that came with my laptop my cat chewed the cable so it was no good so i purchased a new one. batteries are very expensive a simple 6 cell or 8 cell cost about 130 dollars i can find one on ebay for about half that but i dont kno if its a good idea. i'll definitely look into buying a cooling pad but its jus ridiculous some days my laptop doesnt make load sounds like the fan or anything but other days its soooo noisy!!! i duno
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #14

My System

It sounds like your 2nd charger may be the wrong voltage.
I would expect a dog to chew up a cord haha. Who would think a cat would?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

cat's are messed man lol. so i jus bought a cooling pad and my laptop is sitting on it right now so hopefully this will make a difference in the performance and CPU temp. so fingers crossed thanks for your help crucial
Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

i also have another problem, i downgraded to xp at one point, but im back to vista and i couldnt get any of my drivers installed or anything so i had HP help me with installing new things to hopefully have XP recognize my wireless card but then they told me to disconnect the card from my MOBO on my laptop and i managed to drop one of the screws inside the computer so i duno if i hook up the battery to my laptop if it'll cause more of a heat up and im kind of afraid to jus open up my laptop and take the screw out..(if i can find it lol)
Old 01-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #17

My System

Unplug everything, take batt out, and remove the ram slot, and wireless card slot, then try tipping the computer around to see of the screw can fall out.
Down shake it hard, just gently and let gravity try to take the screw down.
Thats all that I can think to do.
AND try a different charger for sure. I'll post a pic of the label on my charger. See if yours matches it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00213.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	63881  
Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
Registered Member

is your charger only a 65W? mine is a 90W! lol so i shudnt take the the whole bottom panel off and jus try to take the screw out? also when i take the ram and wireless card slots out u mean the actual hardware itself correct? not jus the door?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
Registered Member

also is that charger of urs the original that came with ur laptop? is ur laptop HP or compaq?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #20

My System

You can try just the doors at first, or if you are not comfortable taking out the ram and wireless cards.
That is the original that came with my laptop.
It is the compaq cq50-139wm. Got it for a sweet deal at walmart alittle over a year ago for 299$

The specs are probly lower then yours. I have...
2ghz celeron processor
2gb 667mhz ram
160gig hdd
vista home basic
15.4 inch screen
intel gma 4500mhd graphic card.