Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Pressing N turnS ON the caps lock!

This is a discussion on Pressing N turnS ON the caps lock! within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Have had this HP laptop for a few years anD ALL OF A SUDDEN today, the caps lock has

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

Have had this HP laptop for a few years anD ALL OF A SUDDEN today, the caps lock has gonE CRAZY. tHE CAPS LOCK Button No lonGER WORKS But for some reason PRESSINg the letter "N" key turnS ON the caps lock. i TESTED THE REST OF THE KEYBoard anD Other keys like DELETE ANd print SCREEN turn IT ON anD OFF TOO. IT IS DRIVINg me crazy anD I HAVE No idea why it's doinG THIS. restartinG DIDN't help anD I'VE Been SEARCHING the intERNet all nIGHT But can'T FIND anYTHINg to solve this probLEM.

Please help!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGift73

Hi cat222, welcome to TSF

I have been looking to see if other people have been having this issue but can't find anything similar.
The only things I can think of are:

1] There may be a lot of dirt that has built up over time causing the keys to error. Crumbs that have fallen on to the keyboard and are interfering with the keys.

2] Have you spilt anything over the keyboard recently?

3] What is the model of your laptop? Reinstalling the drivers for the keyboard may help?

4] It may be that you have accidentally pressed the FN key in combination with another key, which might have remapped the keyboard. (that last one is a long shot, but just wanted to mention it)

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

see if a usb keyboard does the same thing when hooked up. as TheGift73 stated try uninstalling the keyboard in device manager and restart it will install driver upon restart

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

HELLO,

tHANks for the advice. I haven'T SPILLED ANythinG ON the laptop although I was eatinG A CRUMBly cookie yesterday haha. I forgot to menTION that I am pretty technOLOGICALY STUPID so i am working WITH LIMITED KNow-how anD TOOLS. WHAT IS THE Best way to clean UNdernEATH THE KEYS ANd how can I reinSTALL THE KEYBoard driver AS SUGGESTED? THE letter b IS DOINg it nOW TOO, SIGH.

THANk you!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

whats the make and model of laptop?

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Closed Thread