Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Power problem with Compaq Armada M700

This is a discussion on Power problem with Compaq Armada M700 within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HI, i recently bought a Compaq Armada M700 and when i plug the power cord in, the voltage converter board

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

HI, i recently bought a Compaq Armada M700 and when i plug the power cord in, the voltage converter board just makes a chirping sound. I got a new voltage converter board, but it still does the same thing. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to laboye Send a message via MSN to laboye Send a message via Yahoo to laboye Send a message via Skype™ to laboye
Are you certain it is the voltage converter board? Have you tried this AC adapter with another PC (if possible)? Have you tried another AC adapter with this PC? I recomment trying a voltage tester to see if the AC adapter is 'outputting' the right amount of power. It may be the AC adapter...

Crazy Computer that I'm saving up for::Antec P180 Case;PC Pwr&Cooling 1kW Quad SLI PSU;Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe;Intel Core2 XE X6800;Corsair TWIN2XP2048 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM;2xAsus GeForce 7950 GX2;BFG PhysX Accel.;IBM DVD-RAM/Plextor DVD±RW;Seagate 750GB HD 7200RPM;WDX 150GB 10000RPM;Vigor Monsoon TEC Cooler
Old 06-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well, the AC adapter is a Targus universal one that i just bought new. Do you think that could be the problem?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Did you make sure to use a tip that was listed as compatible with the M700?
I believe the Targus Universal tips #2, #44c, and #T are compatible with the M700, depending on which Targus adapter you have. You can double-check here http://www.targus.com/us/configurato...us/default.asp

Of course, you'd make sure it's set to the U.S. standard of 110V if here in the States, or to 230V in Europe.

The M700's dc range is from 10 to 19 volts (to mimic the battery, of course).

... and you're pretty sure the sound is from the voltage converter board, and not a POST error beep code? The M700 codes are:

S-S-S-P-S-S-L-P The DMA page registers are faulty.
S-S-S-P-S-L-S-P The refresh circuitry is faulty.
S-S-S-P-S-L-L-P The ROM checksum is incorrect.
S-S-S-P-L-S-S-P The CMOS RAM test failed.
S-S-S-P-L-S-L-P The DMA controller is faulty.
S-S-S-P-L-L-S-P The interrupt controller failed.
S-S-S-P-L-L-L-P The keyboard controller failed.
S-S-L-P-S-S-S-P Graphics adapter is faulty.
S-S-L-P-S-S-L-P Internal RAM is faulty.

S = Short, L = Long, P = Pause

Does everything run Ok when started from a charged battery?

. . . Gary
Old 07-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to laboye Send a message via MSN to laboye Send a message via Yahoo to laboye Send a message via Skype™ to laboye
The way this sounds, (POST does not occur when the machine is off or already booted up...), Its more of a power problem. If it happens when it is plugged in, it's certainly not POST codes. The wrong tip would cause more problems than a buzz.

Quote:
Does everything run Ok when started from a charged battery?
^ Try that.
Crazy Computer that I'm saving up for::Antec P180 Case;PC Pwr&Cooling 1kW Quad SLI PSU;Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe;Intel Core2 XE X6800;Corsair TWIN2XP2048 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM;2xAsus GeForce 7950 GX2;BFG PhysX Accel.;IBM DVD-RAM/Plextor DVD±RW;Seagate 750GB HD 7200RPM;WDX 150GB 10000RPM;Vigor Monsoon TEC Cooler
Old 07-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

I made sure to use the right tip. Its the #T tip. But when I plug the laptop in, the battery charging light doesn't even come on. It won't do anything but make a tiny chirping sound.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi again

Am I guessing right, then, that the battery has no charge?

If you know anyone who has a multimeter, you could try laboye's suggestion of testing your Targus adapter's output on your current settings = it should output in the range between 10 and 19 volts.

You could also call the vendor who sold you the used unit & ask about any power-related history with the notebook. [I'll assume it's out-of-warranty, or you'd have returned it for repair already].

Since you bought it, has the notebook ever started & run OK? And did it ever successfully charge the battery?

If the AC adapter is testing out well, what you're then looking to find out is 1) if your voltage converter board is OK - 2) if the motherboard itself is OK - 3) and if the battery itself or the contacts to the battery are OK. Those aren't the easiest parts to test, especially if the notebook won't even POST.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

[PS. . . laboye - - yes, you are correct that a POST code wouldn't occur when Windows has already started. I only mention them as a possibility since whether Windows is running or not isn't clear from the intitial question in the thread. It seemed possible that pspspeed24 might be referring to a situation that occurs when starting the laptop with the ac adapter plugged in.]

[pspspeed24 -- I imagine you are quite familiar with POST (Power On Self Test), especially since you are knowledgable enough to track down compatible voltage converter boards. Does the chirping happen during powerup? Does the laptop make the single-beep at startup that indicates as successful POST? (at least, did it when it was running from a charged battery?) ]
Old 07-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

The laptop wont do anything at all.It wont power up at all. Even if the battery is bad, it should still start or at least do something at all on ac power. I'll check the ac adapter voltage.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

My suggestion at this point would be to try a new power adapter. If you go to Radio Shack or any other store for that matter, bring your laptop, and generally they will let you open and test the product before purchasing it.

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread