Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Power button turns on, but the screen remains black

This is a discussion on Power button turns on, but the screen remains black within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Sony Viao. Almost brand spankin' new. I bought it at Best Buy back in November on Black

Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Sony Viao. Almost brand spankin' new. I bought it at Best Buy back in November on Black Friday. Its worked beautifully up until a couple weeks ago. I was in the middle of using it and BAM, it shut down on me out of the clear blue sky. Now the power button light turns on, but nothing happens on the screen. The little light that says the computer is plugged in, but no other light turns on (Caps lock, number lock, etc) There are no beeps or sounds coming from the computer. Its like the lights are on, but nobody's home. I'm not computer or tech saavy in the slightest, but OBVIOUSLY this isn't supposed to be happening.

I've tried taking the battery out, putting it back in, holding the power button down for several seconds, pressing alt F7, F10, Fthiscomputer. I really need some help here, cuz I am at a complete loss.

Thanks a bunch.
~ Ani

Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF,

I take it you are still under warranty. Do you hear the hard drive spin up or the fan spinning?

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Probably with the warrenty is I didn't keep the receipt, so I don't think I can send it back because I don't have proof that I bought it from Best Buy.

And in answer to your question, no, I don't here the fans spinning, or the hard drive.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Hi Dreamboatani,

I have had the same problem before I was on the computer one day and all of a sudden everything just shot off and never came back on it turned out the power supply was completely shot and then it fried my graphic card and then the complete motherboard, from the problem you are having sounds the same thing power supply went out.

Could be a couple of things.

1) Motherboard was fried
2) Graphic Card not working
3) Monitor some how got fried ... have you tried different monitors maybe that could be the case?

YourTravelingGeek

CompTIA A+ Certified
CompTIA Network+ Certified

PC running slow? | Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help
YTGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

i would still see about having it fix under the warranty first never know can't hurt to try.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

ya try what oscer1 said can't hurt to try :)

YourTravelingGeek :pray;

CompTIA A+ Certified
CompTIA Network+ Certified

PC running slow? | Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help
YTGeek is offline   Reply With Quote