Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

plugged wrong power adapter into laptop, green light blinking

This is a discussion on plugged wrong power adapter into laptop, green light blinking within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Yesterday I accidentally plugged the power adapter for my printer (which I had stupidly placed for a moment near

Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
Yesterday I accidentally plugged the power adapter for my printer (which I had stupidly placed for a moment near to my computer's adapter) into my Acer laptop. My laptop shut itself off instantly; the printer's adapter was plugged in for no more than a second or two. The result is that, while my laptop still runs normally using its battery power, it no longer charges and the light on its adapter blinks green. Both the printer's power adapter and the one for my laptop have the same input (100 - 240 V), though below the voltage indication on my printer's adapter there's also written +32V -- 940mA. I have no idea what this means, nor if it's of any significance. Let's assume that I'm the most tech-negated person in the world, so I ask anybody with an answer to please use "baby" language.
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this, I'm just praying it's not going to be a problem that'll take selling a kidney to fix.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

The 100-240v is the input voltage (from the mains), what you need to compare is the output voltage and current.

As the printer will have a greater demand than the laptop, you could well have cooked something. It's a bit like plugging an electric razor in that has dual voltage but was set to say, 110v when plugging it into 240v. The motor would burn out.

Probably time to take it in for repair and plead ignorance if it's still under guarantee.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Tech Hardware Team
Game Team Tech

My System

model of laptop , model of printer ?

I've hardly encountered adapters for printers having the same power jack heads as a

laptop.

It is very likely though , that the port for the power of your laptop is damaged .

tyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyza View Post
model of laptop , model of printer ?

I've hardly encountered adapters for printers having the same power jack heads as a

laptop.

It is very likely though , that the port for the power of your laptop is damaged .
Good point ! My printer (Epson SX425W) plugs directly into the mains and it's a completely different fitting.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
Tech Hardware Team
Game Team Tech

My System

So did you actualy plug the power point of the printer's cable into the laptops power jack?

tyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you all for replying. As I had mentioned before, there's not exactly an enormous difference between the two chargers. The one for the printer has a somewhat skinnier power cord and a thicker AC adapter, but apart from that they're both black and have the same type of yellow-tipped jack. All it took was half a second of me being too far off on my own little planet to miss the differences. Bah...
The jack for my computer is a little thicker, but not by much (I didn't force the jack for the printer in there). I'm just hoping that it only damaged the port a little bit; the computer itself is still working peachy fine and nothing is burning. Unfortunately, it's not a new computer and upon examination it seems that someone had tried to open it up before, so the warranty is null.
Anyway, the printer's an hp deskjet 5550.
The computer is an Acer Extensa 5230E
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

Also, excuse me. When I started the thread I meant the power jack, not the adapter. I think the whole experience of me possibly losing the use of my computer and access to a truckload of school data might have scrambled my brain a bit. Hope my second post clears things up.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGrin View Post
though below the voltage indication on my printer's adapter there's also written +32V -- 940mA. I have no idea what this means, nor if it's of any significance.
This most likely damaged the DC Jack and/or the charging circuitry on motherboard. The original Acer adapter only output 19V

I think this model uses the cabled DC jack that plugs into motherboard. May be worth a shot.

Other than that you can take it to a Service Center.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post

I think this model uses the cabled DC jack that plugs into motherboard. May be worth a shot.
Sorry, I didn't really understand your suggestion here... do you mean that I should try remediating this by taking a look to see where the jack might be damaged internally? I read a while ago that sometimes the solder that holds the jack to the motherboard breaks, but I don't consider myself competent enough with computers to try disassembling my Acer and soldering the jack back on there myself (assuming that's the problem). At the same time, it sounds like getting your computer fixed by a professional can be extremely costly. Gah...

Anyway, thank you very much for the reply. I'll try to see if there's someone that can repair my computer without charging loads of money. In the end, I suppose these things happen. I should just be glad that there was at least enough power left in the battery to give me a couple of minutes to save the most important data.