Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Packard Bell Easynote won't boot

This is a discussion on Packard Bell Easynote won't boot within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok I'm new to this, but completely stuck. I'm comfortable with taking my laptop appart if I need too, but

Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ok I'm new to this, but completely stuck. I'm comfortable with taking my laptop appart if I need too, but I'm a bit stuck on what to be checking first.

Laptop has been fine and switched of as normal (via the windows 7 shut down option) and it all looked fine. Switched on this morning and the DVD drive whirles around as does the HDD and sounds like a fan (not sure about the fan though). after 5-10 seconds everything is quiet.
The screen stays off and no other lights, other than the power light and battery ligh, light up. Holding the on/off switch switches the power light off again as if i was holding it in after a crash or freeze (not that i ever done this that often and not for a while)

The only thing I can think of is a ruined motherboard or the CMOS battery.
My Superantispwyware did find a trojan 3 days ago and not sure if any virus could cause this much damage or if that was just coincedence.

Any advise would be great.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

have you tried
removing the adapter
removing the battery
and holding the power switch on for at least 60 seconds

etaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
have you tried
removing the adapter
removing the battery
and holding the power switch on for at least 60 seconds
Yes, sorry should have said, that was the fisrt thing i did.

I pressed the volume button and that lit up (with and without the battery) and also the mousepad enable/disable button lit up when touched. But no other buttons light up, the HDD light doesn't even flicker even though you can hear the HDD start for a few seconds and no other light comes on (other than the power and battery light), normally they all light up while it goes through POST for a second, but seems it isn't even getting to POST.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Techie19
Try reseating the RAM and then reboot. If that doesn't help, try one stick of RAM at a time, rebooting in between.
Passionate about IT. Been troubleshooting, repairing and building computers since 2006. Currently hold an Associate in Arts Degree in Computer Information Systems. Also currently pursuing the CompTIA A+ certification. Career goal and dream is to become a System Admin or Network Admin.
Techie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie19 View Post
Try reseating the RAM and then reboot. If that doesn't help, try one stick of RAM at a time, rebooting in between.
Tried that also last night, didn't work.
I did read last night that this is a common fault with the Packard Bell Easynote laptop by where the wire between the on/off switch and the motherboard breaks as it runs under the hinge of the screen. So I think this will be my next check once I have worked out how to get inside that part of the laptop.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Moderator - Networking

theres quite a few
Packard Bell Easynote disassembly
guides online

not sure what model you have - but a search of google for
Packard Bell Easynote disassembly
will bring up quite a few different guides

etaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

It's a TJ61 which doesn't seem very common on google, but the TJ65 comes up a lot and it looks similar, so will go looking with that and keep you posted. Thanks for the advise so far, I may be back lol.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

Ok, I'm completely stuck. All I can find on YouTube is a seen replacement video and when I google disassembly instructions all I get is ask ftp file which won't download on my phone and a link to a tj65 on these forums, but that wants to download the toolbar which I'm not touching with a barge pole. I've only just got rid of all traces of that from something a month ago.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ok worked it out and it isn't the wire. Any other suggestions welcome lol
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hi Frosty77

Any luck on this as I am having the same problem??
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfortune68 View Post
Hi Frosty77

Any luck on this as I am having the same problem??
Sorry, I tried everything, I had it apart and changed the ram. Put the HDD in a caddy and used it as an external drive, checked the power button and all internal connections. I even tried a new CMOS battery. it was completely dead, so I expect it was the motherboard. I had to buy a new one in the end.

Probably not what you want to hear, but at least it might prevent weeks of head banging against walls like I had.