Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

No sound from Laptop speakers, but can hear sound out headphones

This is a discussion on No sound from Laptop speakers, but can hear sound out headphones within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an issue with my speakers for some reason,. Can't hear sound out of my speakers when my headphones

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to starlightlynn30
Thumbs Down

I have an issue with my speakers for some reason,. Can't hear sound out of my speakers when my headphones are not hooked up, but can hear sound through headphones.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 and everything is up to date on it.

I also have Windows XP(sp3)

Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

Sounds like a problem with the chip or board that deals with sound on the laptop. You need a repair shop that can do motherboard repairs but as it's an oldish model (I think...) you should check it's not cheaper to buy a second hand one from ebay or wherever..

Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

@ starlightlynn30 did you tried to check your driver for audio?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yes it is a SigmaTel Audio is my default audio driver. When I mute it on the sound button or the speaker it mutes but for some reason my speaker settings don't work, but audio does, might have to do with the latest update I did on my computer but not sure.

I highly doubt it is my mother board, if it was I would not be getting any sound from my computer.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

It could the part dealing with the speaker output..

Try a cd based operating system and see if the speakers works then. It's easy enough to download something like Linux Mint and burn it to disk. I've found that this distro nearly always provides basic drivers for all hardware. You can download it from here..

Download - Linux Mint

If nothing else it will rule out a hardware fault.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
It could the part dealing with the speaker output..

Try a cd based operating system and see if the speakers works then. It's easy enough to download something like Linux Mint and burn it to disk. I've found that this distro nearly always provides basic drivers for all hardware. You can download it from here..

Download - Linux Mint

If nothing else it will rule out a hardware fault.
Can the complete software be burned to a cd/cd-rw? or does it have to be a dvd?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

No, a cd will be fine for the basic version.

If you have a usb stick then download this handy little utility to put a bootable linux distro onto it.

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
No, a cd will be fine for the basic version.

If you have a usb stick then download this handy little utility to put a bootable linux distro onto it.

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
How does Linux work with Windows XP?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

It doesn't. You boot the Linux operating system from the usb stick or cd and it runs from there and RAM memory. There is a slight lag over an OS installed on the hard drive but the point is to test the hardware.

There are endless ways of doing this but something simple like Linux Mint loads in a couple of minutes and will give you an answer straight away. The speakers will either work or not work.

XP is not started at all.