Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

No operating system found. Check Cables error. Laptop won't load.

This is a discussion on No operating system found. Check Cables error. Laptop won't load. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

First, I would like to say that I have a Acer Aspire 3680 laptop. My laptop loads to a black screen and says Media Test Failure- Check cables. Right underneath that it says No operating System Found. I know that the hard drive is still good because I have tried it in another computer and it boots perfectly fine. I have tried using my disc that came with my laptop but it says it can not load and of my drivers, or find my hard drive. But, when I go under my computer files, it shows me that my hard drive is there. I can hear a little rattling inside the laptop so I opened up the laptop and all the cables seem to be connected and in the right places but there were two tiny white circular pieces that were loose and just slide around, so I took them out. I believe that I need them for something because if I didn’t they would not be there. I am not sure what these pieces are or where they go? I would appreciate any help with this question. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Have you tried the HDD to boot into another laptop? Is it the same/exact model laptop as your Aspire 3680? Are you installing XP? Is your Acer using a SATA drive?

Based on your description, I suggest you set boot order in BIOS first (start with CD/DVD device, then maybe the HDD). Once done try to boot with a bootable CD/DVD media (i.e. Windows installation, recovery discs that came with the laptop if you have them, linux CD, XP live CD like BartPE etc.). If it boots then you know your CD/DVD media is working.... may be you just have a bad HDD or you do not have the right drivers for your HDD (if you are installing XP).
Closed Thread