Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Laptop, Fresh Windows

770 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GowerOsprey 
#1 ·
Evening all

I recently purchased a Lenovo laptop which arrived with Windows 7 installed on it. The paperwork which came with the machine told me that it had been taken back to W7 from Windows 10 and that I could obtain a copy of Windows 10 by contacting them. I have done this, and upgraded the laptop sing the USB stick they sent.

However, ideally I would like to have a fresh, bloatware-free version of Windows. How should I go about doing this? I know that I can download an ISO of Windows 10, but how would I find out the correct activation code for the laptop?

Any help is much appreciated; explained simply would be even better!:blush:

Thanks
Chris

#3 ·
Hey kendallt, thanks for the swift reply.

When you advise a backup of Windows 7, do you mean a recovery disk as described in the stickies at the top of this Forum?

Since I've already upgraded to Windows 10, how would I do this?

Are there multiple versions of Windows 10 like with W7 (Pro, Ultimate etc) so that I have to get a specific version of the ISO?

#4 ·
Hi there,

Someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but if you have upgraded to Windows 10 within 30-days, MS will let you rollback to Windows 7 within 30-days. Otherwise, if you installed Windows 10 past the 30-day mark, you would need to re-install Windows 7 manually.

#5 ·
Yes there are different versions of 10, home pro etc, but it installs as the version matching the same version of 7 that it replaces.

Actually meant backing up 7 before you upgraded so you can keep your current programs if you want to roll back. It's easier to restore an old installation of 7 than it is to upgrade 10 back to 7.

#6 ·
Thanks for all your replies.

I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 on the laptop but left the 'Lenovo' partition intact with the Windows 7 files on it, so hopefully will alow me to go back.

Laptop is working great without all the nonsense on it, and Windows 10 is fine for me and my needs.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.