Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Netbook won't recognize integrated wireless hardware

This is a discussion on Netbook won't recognize integrated wireless hardware within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. (Sorry if this is in the wrong section) I'm using my mother's Hercules eCafe EC-1000W netbook (since I don't have

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

I'm using my mother's Hercules eCafe EC-1000W netbook (since I don't have acess to a real computer or laptop). About a week ago it dumped the drivers for it's integrated wireless card. The device no longer shows up in Device Manager and doesn't appear when I scan for hardware changes. The computer keeps saying I need to activate it in the Windows manager and I'm not exactly sure what this is refering to (it's the first time in 20 years I've heard of anything like that). I attempted a reformat earlier today hoping that it would reset and start recognizing the wifi but that didn't work. My roommate works on computers for a living and couldn't solve the issue. I'm not entirely sure how to resolve this issue or if it's even resolvable at this point and I should just buy her an external wireless adaptor to solve the problem. The hardline ethernet works just fine. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Enthusiast

It may just need the driver installing for the wireless adapter, but then surely your knowledgeable room-mate would have thought of that already?

Anyhow, the drivers for it are available from the netbook manufacturer's website & their "eCafe" support page is here: eCAFÉ

Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

Look in BIOS to see if the wireless has been disabled . . if not, it has likely failed
Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Another thing to look into is....

Most modern portables and ultra portables have a switch on them to enable and disable the Wireless antennae. This is for use on airplanes, where brodcast signals can interfere with flight instrumentation. Take a good look at the computer for a slide switch, button or FN combination that could toggle the wifi on and off.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I checked the BIOS; nothing. I had to register at the eCafe site for tech support and drivers. It said it would take up to 24 hours to get the confirmation email, which I haven't gotten 30+ hours later (I'll try reregistering). The wifi toggle switch does nothing.

I suspect the part of the motherboard that had the wifi just took a crap (it's a netbook after all, these things are pretty cheap despite what you pay for them - for $350 I could get a decent Compaq laptop and probably not have any problems that weren't self inflicted.) At this point I'm thinking it would be easier to shell out the fourty bucks for a USB wifi adaptor, but I'll continue to toy with it. If I figure it out or if you have any other ideas I'll post my progress.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.