Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

My laptop has become very slow! Help Please!!

This is a discussion on My laptop has become very slow! Help Please!! within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey My computer has recently become very slow, when i turn it on, the fans immediately starts going crazy. I

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hey
My computer has recently become very slow, when i turn it on, the fans immediately starts going crazy.
I checked other forums which said i should clean the fan blades, so i screwed of the bottom and did a 1 hour extremly thorough cleaning. but nothing changed at all.
My computer is an Acer Travelmate 5720 and has a 2,5 ghz Intel(R) core(TM)2 Duo CPU and 3gb ram, and my pc is only 1 and a half year old.
Everytime i start it up it is working a little bit slow, but after a half to an hour, it starts going very slow.
it also heats up, but it has always done that a little, now it maybe becomes a little warmer.
It has never been like this before, and i had strugled a lot trying to find the cause, but i can't.
can it be:
  1. Maybe the fan i is old, and should be changed,( eventhough i cleaned it)?
  2. could the CPU be misfunctioning, so i should get a new one?
  3. Could the heatsink be misfunctioning?
  4. what else, i don't know

I often use my computer for gaming, but that is totally impossible to do right now, it has worked just great before.
I haven't done anything to it, the problem has just appeared.

Is there anyone, who might know or just have a clue about what is wrong, and howi can fix it?

Any help will be very much appreciated

Thanks Emil Skydsgaard

Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

So you cleaned the insides of the laptop already? If already done, I suggest you check the temps (run a program like SpeedFan) so you will have an idea how high they get... causing your system to slow down.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

I tried a program named Real temp, and it says that my cpu i 60-67 Celsius. I don't know if that is bad?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

It has actually now reached 75-81 degrees after gamed 1 hour
Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You need at least a quality cooling pad, and as Triggerfinger pointed out [no pun intended] a good cleaning is in order and make sure the fan still spins.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

i have already cleaned it very thoroughly. as i said before, they do spin, a lot
Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Think you guys are all looking at this the wrong way. If the unit is not powering off due to over heating its possible heat is not causing his main problem. Which seems to be its running slow.

A good way to test the heat issue is run prime 95 http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p95v259.zip

click on just stress testing and select "In-place large FFTs (maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM tested).

Run that for a while and see if your computer loses power (i.e. the bios turned it off b/c the cpu got too hot).

99% of the time computer running slow translates to either software issues (restore it) or a bad hard drive.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hi Kharm
I ran Prime95 and after 3 hours it passed all test from 1024 down to 128 or something like that. i did not lose power.
when you say "restore it" do you then mean erasing the harddisk completely and install os again or what?