Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

<<MOVED>> HDMI messed up sound channels on PC games

This is a discussion on <<MOVED>> HDMI messed up sound channels on PC games within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all! This looked like a very helpful forum which is what I am exactly looking for atm. I just

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all! This looked like a very helpful forum which is what I am exactly looking for atm. I just got a new Sony 5.1 Home Theater system(Sony HTSS370) for my Sony 40' Bravia HDTV so I can enjoy my games on my laptop in full 1080p HD and also 5.1 surround sound. My laptop is connected to my HT with an HDMI cable and the HT is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. All of my 5.1 surround sound movies on my laptop produce full 5.1 surround sound through all the speaker channels it's meant to go through, but for some reason, most of my games, like Black Ops, Just Cause 2, Bullet Storm, Dead Rising, and Assassins Creed 2 for some reason mess up the audio channels, except a few other games that I tried which produced sound through the approperiate sound channels, like Modern Warfare 2 and FIFA 11. ALL of my games and movies give perfect 5.1 surround sound when I use my Logitech X530 5.1 speakers, but for some reason some of my games mess up with my HT. The way they mess up the surround sound is that they produce all of the sound that comes from the front, from my rear speakers, and the sound that's supposed to come from my rear speakers comes from my front speakers, including the center speaker. I am not sure where the problem comes from, maybe bad drivers or something..but I am using the latest drivers from nVidia for my GeForce 9800M GTS graphic card, 266.58. When I test out my speaker channels through the Playback Devices from the control panel, the sound comes perfectly from the approperiate sound channels. Although, I remember when I noticed the sound channel problem in AC2 and minimized it and tested the sound channels from Playback Devices, and the sound channels also appeared to be like AC2 and came from the wrong channels. But when I turned AC2 off and tested the sound channels from Playback Devices again, my sound channels were back to normal.
I don't know what the problem is, maybe the audio technology that the problematic games use are different or something..I don't really know. I do have a cheap external sound card which has a cheap SPDIF out port which I tested with these games and only got 2 channel audio for some reason. :S
Here is my basic specs:

Gateway FX P-7803h Gaming Laptop
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS 1GB
4GB DDR3 ram
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @2.00GHz
1.5 TB HDD
Sony Bravia 40' HDTV
Sony HTSS370 5.1 Home Theater System

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time! :D

Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Vetustior Humo

Welcome to TSF

Not really my area of expertise, but...

It appears that your Sony can only handle DD5.1, DTS or LPCM so if the game uses some other encoding your unit can't decode it. Go into the game menu and see if they let you change the audio track to one of those listed above. Also, Sony has built a number of copywrite protections into the unit so if the games are sending a signal type that might be foreign to the unit it rejects them.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

hmmm..when I click on Properties and checked out the Supported Formats for my nVidia HDMI out, it only shows Dolby Digital under the Encoded Formats...but I really don't think that has much effect on the games or anything because any sound sent from my laptop to my HT with the HDMI cable it, it only shows LPCM....but I have messed around with ffdshow audio decoder settings around and actually have gotten it to send proper sound signals to all the channels for those games, but idk why, but it goes back to messed up audio channels next time I run those games.. :S So the supported formats of my HT don't really affect my problem here...seems like it CAN be fixed using ffdshow and is a problem of my nVidia HDMI out only encoding Dolby Digital....but since it can be fixed with ffdshow, I need some help configuring it to work properly from you smart dudes here...will be waiting for any other responses you guyz have...ty for the reply btw :)
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
Vetustior Humo

moving to hardware...
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

ummm..shouldn't be a software issue since we can sort of deal with it through ffdshow?? Also I noticed that once I change resolution of a game, like when the screen goes all black and comes back on, as if restarting the game or sometihng, the audio channels get messed up after that...like it changes channels or sometihng...weird. :|
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

(BUMP)
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

(BUMP)...I really need some support....
Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

(BUMP)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member

(BumP)..
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

omg HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP :|
Old 03-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

bump :|
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

Why did my topic get moved to a place where, apparently, no one has any knowledge on fixing it???
Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
Registered Member

????help
Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
Registered Member

(BUMP) seems like I'm heading for a world record number of bumps :|
Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

wth happend to the tech support???
Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Registered Member

?????
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
Registered Member

bump.....
Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Registered Member

I tried doing some stuff and I noticed when I minimize the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood game, the sounds come from the proper speakers, but when I maximize it, the audio goes all messed up again! I neeeeeeddd heeellppp :S
Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Well..you guyz have been utterly helpless...I found a fix for my problem by myself but I'm too lazy to write it here, soo if anybody has the same problem or cares about the answer just msg me or something. :S