Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Mouse and keyboard will not work

This is a discussion on Mouse and keyboard will not work within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After deleting Upper and lower filters in regedit to try and fix a CD/DVD problem neither my mouse nor my

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

After deleting Upper and lower filters in regedit to try and fix a CD/DVD problem neither my mouse nor my keyboard work. Any ideas. Second part of this problem or should I say the problem that caused this problem is my CD/DVD player. I can get it to work by messing around with the bios and it will work for a short amount of time and then like you restart and it is gone again. It does not show up in my computer or in device manager. I got it back last night and ran Windows diag on it and it passed all tests so I know the drive is not bad it just keeps disappearing. So then I read to delete upper and lower filters but I think out of frustration I deleted to many! I did not back up the reg before doing so and so now I have no keyboard or mouse. I know I know I should ALWAYS back up!! So if some one can help me out of this fix I will obey the rules. This is on a Compaq persario V4000 notebook. Thanks for any help

Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86, VISTA SP2 x64 & x86, Windows XP SP3

My System

Do a system restore. That should reset your registry.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

OK how do I do a restore w/o a mouse or keyboard?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86, VISTA SP2 x64 & x86, Windows XP SP3

My System

I'm sorry, I thought you could get it to work for a short time but I realize you said the CD-ROM. Does it allow you to boot in safe mode? Can you get to the BIOS?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

do a cmos reset
Old 08-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

No I can not get to the Bios, I can not shut it down correctly so when it starts up it does not allow me to push F10 and it will not boot from the CD. Help!!!! Sorry I have no idea how to get to the cmos
Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

http://www.cluefree.com/technical/la...anceguide2.pdf
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h...&lang=en&cc=us
Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you all for your help I remendied my problem. Now I have a new one and that is the fact that my CD/DVD drive keeps disapppearing. It seems like random times however I am trying to pinpoint when it happens. I reformatted last night and got all the updates last thing I did was check to see that my CD drive showed up in MY Computer and hardware devices, it was there. Then this morning when I turned on the computer GONE! It is driving me nuts. By the way I contacted HP and went thru their email troubleshooting after trying to help me without success they wanted to send me a new drive. That would be the second drive they have sent me for the same problem. I thought the first time it was not the drive but they could not help me and I could not find the solution on my own. That drive was free under warranty however conviently it is no longer covered so I am looking a little harder for the solution this time around.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

forgot we are on a laptop
either the drive is faulty or a bad connection would seem the answer
on a desktop you would replace the ide cable
they seem to make adaptors for everything if you can get one to connect it as an external
Old 08-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

I know it is not the drive. This is the second brand new drive in 3 months both with the exact same problem. One moment you look into My Computer and there it is and then the next moment you look and it is gone! At one point HP told me to delete my upper and lower filters and that seemed to work for a time.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

f you can connect it externally successfully it will pinpoint the problem at the connector inside or the m/b
Old 08-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
Registered Member

Do you mean connect an external drive?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

no iwas refering to finding an adaptor to connect your internal via usb to see if it is the drive or the m/b that is the problem
Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #14
Registered Member

I really don't think it is the drive however it could be the MB. The reason I don't think the drive is because I just got this drive brand new to replace an almost new brand new drive that was doing the exact same thing. So in my mind we elimated the drive. Asking from a totally novice standpoint why does no one think it could be software related or a setting? If it is the MB where would I go from here? It is a almost brand new laptop, however just outside the warranty of course. Is there a ribbon in there going from the place I plug the drive into to the MB? Sorry so many questions but I am trying to use this as a learning experience as well. Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if there is a cable connecting it,it could be the problem
do the upper and lower filters again
i have asked some else to look at the problem
Old 08-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

I was looking on a laptop forum and there are other people with the same problem. One man who also has an HP said that the screw that holds the drive in would not let it seat completely and that power could get to the drive but not data. The only problem with that is there is only one screw that holds the drive in. Just thoughts.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Does the CD drive at least light up? Because the power/interface use both a single connector, if the drive is receiving power, the connection is likely good.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #18
Registered Member

It lights up and spins up it just does not show up!