Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Looking for a new laptop

This is a discussion on Looking for a new laptop within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a budget of 1000-1500$ max, need a 17 inch screen, i prefer hp, but i'm open to suggestions,

Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a budget of 1000-1500$ max, need a 17 inch screen, i prefer hp, but i'm open to suggestions, the battery need to last at least 4 hours, durable, i play starcraft 2 (not a very resurse heavy game) watch movies, facebook, messenger and broswing the web. I want windows 7 compatibility , i'm from Romania, but i want to buy the laptop from amazon.com.
I had in mind to buy hp envy 17-2290 or hp envy 17-307NR but after reading the reviews on amazon i got a little worried.
PS: i want a laptop/notebook with a standard keyboard!
Thank You

What is your opinion on refurbished Laptops? Did anyone buy one? It is a good deal to buy one?

Thank You

Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello kobepaul and welcome to TSF,

Please answer the questions from the following thread in your next reply so that we have a basis for recommendations.

If You Are Looking for a New Laptop, Read This First

I do not recommend HP laptops due to reports of poor customer service and early failures. This does not mean that all HP laptops are junk, just that there are better options IMHO.

As for refurbished laptops, depending on the discount recieved, warranty and entity that performed the refurbishing, I would be wary. There are quite a few unscrupulous companies that will take a returned laptop and mark it as refurbished and sell it for a slight discount. You may be buying someone elses problem.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Budget: 1000$
Screen: 17" (i prefer widescreen)
Brands: Not Hp i guess
Mobility: at least 4 hours
Durability: durable
Gaming: Starcraft 2 (works on my old laptop just fine)
Calculations: No
Storage: about 500GB
Optical Media: i just write data and audio cd/dvd
Operating System: windows 7
PS: i want a standard keyboard! and design it's very important.

Thank You
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Here are two suggestions. I don't know what Amazon site you will order from, so I chose the UK European site because it is in English.

Asus K73E 17.3 inch Laptop (Intel Core i3 2330M 2.20GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB, DVDSM, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Just under $750USD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Process...0223619&sr=1-2

Approximately $1250USD

Let me know what you think and I will do a little more searching.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

I will buy from amazon.com (united states).
Why did you pick asus? i'm just curious
Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

I will take a look at the American stock then.

In answer to your question about Asus...

I have found, from personal experience, that cost, quality and performance of the Asus products are very well balanced. I also recommend Toshiba and Lenovo, but usually recommend Asus first.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

I like the asus n75sf, it's very strange that on amazon.com the price it higher in comparison with the ones in my country, for hp in my country the prices were almost double! I don't understand it.
Anyway i like the performances and the design, i think i will buy it.
Asus N75SF-V2G-TZ129D, Core i7-2630Q, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD this is about 1300$ in my country, and it's almost the same laptop.
Thank You
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

I hope you enjoy it! That i7 CPU is quite a bit more than you need (as per your description) but it should suit you well!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Tech Hardware Team
Game Team Tech

My System

You wanted 4 hours battery life while playing sc2? D:?

tyza is offline   Reply With Quote