and thanks for the 'welcome'.
I did as you said, but it made no difference. Still have the same problem...[push on/off button...light comes on and immediately goes off].
[per my original post, I don't believe the fan is trying to come on, not enough time between on/off]
My son and wife have used this laptop for 2yrs now, and have had it sitting on bed, lap, pillows, etc. regardless of my telling them it needed space to breath to prevent overheating.
Do you think something has burnt up [hard drive etc.] from overheating?
I have a feeling that this is the case. If so, how can I know and fix it? Can a new hard drive, or whatever is bad, be purchased reasonably priced and replaced by me?