Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Laptop turns on for 2-3 secs and shuts down repeatedly

This is a discussion on Laptop turns on for 2-3 secs and shuts down repeatedly within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop is about 3-4 yrs old. HP dv0910us running Vista. I had left it on and went out, came

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

My laptop is about 3-4 yrs old.
HP dv0910us running Vista. I had left it on and went out, came back and it was off. I went to turn it on.... the fan came on, lights came on ... and about 2-3 sec later, it turned off. Then it would turn on...do the same thing and shut down.
A while back, I noticed it would get pretty hot. HP had a recall on some batteries, but mine was not one of them... and no solution from HP as to how to resolve it. So I bought a cooling platform which I kept plugged into my laptop when it was on.

Took my laptop to work and had one of the IT guys give me some advice... and we thought it might be the hard drive. So I bought a new one and he installed it, but that didn't work... still having the same issue. They decided to reset the RAM... I think thats what he told me he did.... but that didn't work.

I don't have my laptop right now, for its at work to give all the specifics on it. Been reading to find a possible solution. One of which leads me to a faulty motherboard.

Any suggestions of where I should go to see about getting this resolved before I shell out money for a Dell?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi cleaning the airvents and fan with a can of compressed air would be the first place to start then you can look at these Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the hard drive purchase. The hard drive has nothing to do with the problem.
What you describe is spot on description for a Maxim chip failure. That's the power regulating chip that handles all the voltages on the motherboard. So, basically your laptop has a bad motherboard.
There are two options. Either you buy a new motherboard, or you repair the one you have. I won't go into too much detail here, you can learn