Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Laptop stops charging while gaming

This is a discussion on Laptop stops charging while gaming within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all, I have a Dell Studio Xps 1640 laptop for about two years now. I have noticed that while

Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all, I have a Dell Studio Xps 1640 laptop for about two years now. I have noticed that while I am gaming, my adapter will stop charging. During normal use it is fine. My house is a little bit older so I am not sure if the outlets are bad or if the adapter has gone bad. The adapter is running on 90 w. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Laura

Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello MissLaura86 and welcome to TSF,

I don't think it is a house electrical problem... do you have issues with any other electrical appliances?

I am researching your issue right now. I have never come across this particular issue.

What games are you playing, and how do you know the computer is not charging while playing?

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey,

No, I haven't had any other electrical appliances acting up on me. It stops charging while I am playing World of Warcraft. The battery icon in the system tray shows me that it is not charging.

MissLaura86
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Do you play WoW in a window? I thought it was full screen?

It is most likely that, when playing the game, the computer requires the bulk of the power being supplied by the charger, not leaving enough to charge the battery or diverts it from the battery.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote