Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop slow for no discernible reason

863 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DBCooper 
#1 ·
Over the course of the course of a few days my laptop (Lenovo Z510, i5, Windows 10, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD) has become very stuttery and slow. It was updated, but was still slow before the update.

I've tried the following:
Updating graphics drivers
Running CCleaner
Running a malware scan
Checking HDD health with CrystalDiskInfo (it says "good")

Here is what Task manager looks like - this was while I was running a virus scan and backing up at the same time. Nothing really stands out.
Any ideas?

#2 ·
Hi there,

Try performing a "Check Disk Repair" and see if that helps. In the search field, type in "CMD" and when the command prompt icon comes up, right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Then when the command prompt window comes up, type in the following command: "chkdsk /r" without quotes and make sure there's a space between "chkdsk" and "/r". The computer will prompt you that the check disk repair process will begin after your reboot your computer. Reboot your computer and let the check disk repair process begin. This should take probably up to an hour or so. See if this helps speed up your computer.

#4 ·
Hi there,

With the laptop specs you provided, the only thing I see worth upgrading is the RAM on your computer. I am also using a Lenovo laptop and mine came with 8GB of RAM originally. Since RAM is so cheap these days, I upgraded my computer RAM to 16GB. Having 16GB of RAM benefits when it comes to multi-tasking purposes.

I know, performing a "Check Disk Repair" via Windows 10 get's the percentage number stuck for some reason. In fact, I performed a check disk repair on my computer yesterday and it get's stuck at 11%. Afterwards though, the process finishes and it boots onto Windows. I usually do a check disk repair on my computer once every few months or so.

I don't think you have to replace anything at the moment. Since your computer is running fine, use it and if you have any issues, feel free to come to this forum and post your computer issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.