Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Laptop Shutting off Randomly - Not Overheating

This is a discussion on Laptop Shutting off Randomly - Not Overheating within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 notebook. Yesterday morning it just shut off randomly and when I tried to turn

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 notebook. Yesterday morning it just shut off randomly and when I tried to turn it on again, it shut off immediately. It has become a major problem and now does this after the computer has been on for as little as 3 minutes. Please read on if you think you can help.

I was playing Warcraft 3 on my computer yesterday morning when the computer just shut off. I have been playing the game for a couple years on the laptop so it seemed odd. The Nvidia graphics card is definately good enough to run it. I immediately tried to turn it back on only for the computer to shut off again. I had to wait an hour before the computer would boot up correctly again only to have it turn off after about 20 minutes while watching a youtube video. When I turned on the computer next, I downloaded SpeedFan and saw that the computer turned off when it got up to 65C. I went online on a different CPU and a lot of people on these tech forums said it was common for a laptop to overheat. I went out and bought a cooling pad for my laptop. This cooled it down, but it still turned off, this time at 55C. More people online suggested cleaning the heatsink / fan with compressed air, so I did that. It has not fixed the problem and now the laptop turns off after about 3 minutes no matter what. The last couple times it has cut off at 25C while in safemode. It doesn't seem to be overheating, although all the symptoms match that of an overheating laptop. People online have also suggested unscrewing the bottom of the laptop and whipping away the dust from the heatsink / fan. Unfortunately, the dv9000 makes it very hard to do this and I do not want to unless it is most certainly the problem. If it is not a problem with the fan or heatsink, I am out of ideas. Please help, I'll check this forum regularly.

TL;DR = Laptop shuts off randomly even while at 25 degrees Celcius. Not overheating.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Bump. Somone help please?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonpoet101

I am actually working on a dv9700 for a friend and it keeps doing the same thing. I had just swapped out the ram to see if that is an issue. Have you had any luck with your situation. And also, while using speedfan, how did you find your motherboard type? Or did you just use speedfan to get the temp of your cpu? Thanks, hope we can help ecother out.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

If you do some digging you will find many issues with this model as well as troubble shooting for your issue, here is the link to the HP forums about this model.

Pavilion dv9000 shuts down unexpectedly - HP Support Forum

From BIOS issues, Updating it for fan correction to Nvidia issues, to costs that HP offer and how to get around them read up and if all else fails back up the data and just move on.