Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

laptop restarts after trying to load windows7??

2K views 42 replies 7 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Guys please help me, a friend of mine gave me his laptop because he was going to throw it away because of this problem. First of all, win7 wont load as soon as it tries to itll restart,well no more cause i disabled the automatic restart,so now it shows me the blue screen telling me to check every thing, drivers,video card, hard drive,etc. I tried to get in on safe mode and all the other options in that menu but they didnt work. It wont let me go to repair pc or WINre because as soon as i choose the repair pc, the screen goes black . I've check the RAM,hard drive already by using the HP tools by pressing f2. So i know theyre good. I hope you guys can help me as i know there are some pretty professional IT guys around here.thanks guys!

#5 ·
Hi there:
You've got what we call in the biz a "boot-loop" problem. Very common in older laptops. Most likely, it's a failing or failed hard drive. Since that's almost always the culprit 97% of the time in laptops over 2 yrs. of age!

First of all, HP tools will NOT conclusively check your hardware components; those tests are pretty much worthless. You need to download the Seatools drive diagnostic for free from the link in my Signature below. If your drive fails Seatools, the drive has failed and needs to be replaced!! Purchase or locate a spare used laptop drive and reinstall Vista from RECOVERY DISCS. Since you don't have, you can purchase from HP for $29-$99 *that is if they still have them for a laptop that old. HP and many companies no longer have RECOVERY DISCS for laptops older than 5 yrs. old. PERIOD. If you can get them they will take 1-3 weeks to get. Reinstall your Vista using RECOVERY DISCS. If it fails, you still have 1 or more failed hardware components and need to test further.

Next, download the free Memtest diagnostic also from my signature below and test each stick of RAM memory separately for a minimum of 8 passes. No less! If either stick or RAM fails Memtest with any errors, the RAM has failed and one or both sticks need to be replaced.

If the hard drive and the RAM pass Seatools and Memtest, and the laptop still has the boot-loop problem, you have additonal hardware failures located most likely in the Motherboard. This takes Linux-Expert toolsets to further diagnose. If you get to this point, turn the laptop on and hit F2 or F10 key on laptop keyboard to go into BIOS, and leave it there for a minimum of 8 hrs. If it reboots even once, you're looking at a Motherboard failure most likely. You can download the UBCD linux toolset also in my signature below and make a diagnostic disc. You may need to do this on another working laptop or desktop PC. It's challenging just to make this disc, so don't get frustrated if you can't create it. Last one took me 2 weeks to make and get it to work. If you have this occur, see if you can borrow one or copy one from your local computer repair shop. They may wish to charge you for it, but it's freeware and a reputable shop won't.

Keep us posted of your progress.
Cheers!
BIGBEARJEDI

#6 ·
Guys i fixed it already.well not really but its working now. What i mean is. That it wouldn't load windows because there was something wrong with the windows updates. I know this because as soon as i made it go back to its factory settings, and installed the updates it turned off and it wouldn't load windows. I restored it again and haven't installed the updates and everything seems fine so ill just leave it like that

#10 ·
Glad you got it resolved! :dance: And don't forget that Windows update WON'T work properly unless your Service Pack level is correct. It's vital that you update your Win7 on that laptop to Win7 SP1, and turn updates BACK ON! If you cannot get it to work with Updates on and SP1, then you have some other software problem most likely. This is usually caused by a Firewall issue with a poorly written Anti-Virus program. Which AV are you running? AND, you can ONLY CHOOSE 1 AV PROGRAM to run at time! Many Clients of mine have 7 or even 8 trying to run all at the same time, which causes NONE of them to work properly and often keeps MS updates from downloading and/or installing correctly. **Cheers, BBJ** :rofl:

If you're ok with things as is, please mark this thread as SOLVED here:

#11 ·
Glad you got it resolved! :dance: And don't forget that Windows update WON'T work properly unless your Service Pack level is correct. It's vital that you update your Win7 on that laptop to Win7 SP1, and turn updates BACK ON! If you cannot get it to work with Updates on and SP1, then you have some other software problem most likely. This is usually caused by a Firewall issue with a poorly written Anti-Virus program. Which AV are you running? AND, you can ONLY CHOOSE 1 AV PROGRAM to run at time! Many Clients of mine have 7 or even 8 trying to run all at the same time, which causes NONE of them to work properly and often keeps MS updates from downloading and/or installing correctly. **Cheers, BBJ** :rofl:

If you're ok with things as is, please mark this thread as SOLVED here:
So i should install sp1 and then sp2??

#15 ·
I think about 2 years, and i went to Windows update and downloaded all of him which were like 129 i think, and then after pressing 'shut down and finish installing updates' it went to a screen saying' installing updates 1 of 5' after about 5 min it shut down and boom. It wouldn't load window when it restarted

#16 ·
MasterChief is correct; there is no SP2 for Windows7!

And, please re-read my Post #5 which has specific tests for your RAM, Hard Drive, and Motherboard. If you cannot get Windows Update to work properly, you can still your laptop, but many programs will not work such as the webupdates from Adobe & Java (you will need these to work in order to watch streaming media content from the Internet such as YouTube and Netflix).

There are 2 other possibilites for this occurring:
1) Failing or failed hardware as I mentioned. Please post results of my suggested tests in my Post #5.
2) Your copy of Windows7 may NOT be legit. Go to Start->Computer and right-click on Computer to bring up "VIEW BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER", then under "WINDOWS ACTIVATION", look for the message "WINDOWS IS ACIVATED". If it is, this section is OK. If it is not you'll get a message "WINDOWS IS NOT ACTIVATED-YOU HAVE 24 DAYS TO ACTIVATE". You'll need to connect your laptop to the Internet and hit the "Activate over the Internet Now" button. If it cannot activate with the Product Key from the sticker on the bottom of your laptop, then most likely your copy of XP is not legit, and that's maybe why your Windows Updates are not working. This is quite common. IF IT DOES SAY "WINDOWS ACTIVATED" already, then the problem is most likely with failed hardware as in #1 option above. :facepalm:

Summarizing again; if Windows updates do not work; your laptop is NOT fully working, but you can still use if for a variety of tasks. But, do NOT attempt to use it for any kind of online banking or Credit Card purchases, since many of those updates are SECURITY updates and that laptop will NOT be suitable for such purposes and will remain vulnerable to virus/malware/trojans/keyloggers etc. until you can correct that problem on it. And this is True even if you have a solid Anti-Virus Security program installed on that laptop!!! You can do Internet browsing, Email, and Gaming on it if you wish; eg: general usage only. Use your other personal computer for any kind of secure financial transactions==NOT THIS LAPTOP!!

Best,
BBJ

#17 ·
MasterChief is correct; there is no SP2 for Windows7!

And, please re-read my Post #5 which has specific tests for your RAM, Hard Drive, and Motherboard. If you cannot get Windows Update to work properly, you can still your laptop, but many programs will not work such as the webupdates from Adobe & Java (you will need these to work in order to watch streaming media content from the Internet such as YouTube and Netflix).

There are 2 other possibilites for this occurring:
1) Failing or failed hardware as I mentioned. Please post results of my suggested tests in my Post #5.
2) Your copy of Windows7 may NOT be legit. Go to Start->Computer and right-click on Computer to bring up "VIEW BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER", then under "WINDOWS ACTIVATION", look for the message "WINDOWS IS ACIVATED". If it is, this section is OK. If it is not you'll get a message "WINDOWS IS NOT ACTIVATED-YOU HAVE 24 DAYS TO ACTIVATE". You'll need to connect your laptop to the Internet and hit the "Activate over the Internet Now" button. If it cannot activate with the Product Key from the sticker on the bottom of your laptop, then most likely your copy of XP is not legit, and that's maybe why your Windows Updates are not working. This is quite common. IF IT DOES SAY "WINDOWS ACTIVATED" already, then the problem is most likely with failed hardware as in #1 option above. :facepalm:

Summarizing again; if Windows updates do not work; your laptop is NOT fully working, but you can still use if for a variety of tasks. But, do NOT attempt to use it for any kind of online banking or Credit Card purchases, since many of those updates are SECURITY updates and that laptop will NOT be suitable for such purposes and will remain vulnerable to virus/malware/trojans/keyloggers etc. until you can correct that problem on it. And this is True even if you have a solid Anti-Virus Security program installed on that laptop!!! You can do Internet browsing, Email, and Gaming on it if you wish; eg: general usage only. Use your other personal computer for any kind of secure financial transactions==NOT THIS LAPTOP!!

Best,
BBJ
Yes all the hardware is working perfectly, and its a legit copy of win 7 . It says its activated

#18 ·
Then the only logical conclusion is you have FAILED HARDWARE! :nonono: You may just not have identified it.

You can use that laptop with the exceptions that web-updates won't work, and since MS updates won't work, it's a security risk. Don't use for any online Banking or Credit Card Purchases. And you'll be fine; more or less. But, the laptop IS NOT WORKING PERFECTLY if you can't turn on MS UPDATES and have them downloading/installing automatically! Since you got it as a "rescue" from the Trash; just use as is, and it's probably not worth paying a Tech $35-$95 to figure out which component(s) is actually causing your problem. But, if you want to describe as "working perfectly"; I'll have to disagree with your assessment. Perhaps "working perfectly for your needs" is a better description. :wink:

Best of luck with it!
BBJ

#19 ·
Then the only logical conclusion is you have FAILED HARDWARE! :nonono: You may just not have identified it.

You can use that laptop with the exceptions that web-updates won't work, and since MS updates won't work, it's a security risk. Don't use for any online Banking or Credit Card Purchases. And you'll be fine; more or less. But, the laptop IS NOT WORKING PERFECTLY if you can't turn on MS UPDATES and have them downloading/installing automatically! Since you got it as a "rescue" from the Trash; just use as is, and it's probably not worth paying a Tech $35-$95 to figure out which component(s) is actually causing your problem. But, if you want to describe as "working perfectly"; I'll have to disagree with your assessment. Perhaps "working perfectly for your needs" is a better description. :wink:

Best of luck with it!
BBJ
Hahhaah but if theres something wrong with the hardware how come iyts working ok without the updates? Lol 😂😂

#22 ·
What if it doesnt help and i have to redo the whole restore again, no guys i really appreciate your help, you guys are always helpful as usual , but ima leave the laptop like that. I only have one more question. Given the fact, that i play on steam in the laptop, is it ok for me to do that, cause i put my password in there and i dont want no one to have access to the money i got in steam or my password

#23 ·
Putting Steam on that used laptop is no different than putting it on a brand new laptop you go to the Computer store and bring home tonight--it's online Gaming and is the Kiss-of-Death for all laptops! Playing onling Games on laptops will effectively decrease the lifetime of your laptop by 50% or more! Since that's a used laptop, you may only get 6 months out of it versus 1 yr. of use! :nonono: But, what the heak you got it for free, so whatever you want. Sounds like you have more than 1 computer at home anyway. :uhoh:

If one of your other computers is a desktop, better to play online Games WITH THAT DESKTOP, and preserve the life of your laptop. If your desktop is too old, you need to consider buying a Gaming Desktop or building your own Custom-Rig per our Guide here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/tsf-hardware-teams-recommended-builds-2014-a-668661.html
Price range on our builds is $600-$1,800. :smile:

And, like I said previously, since you CANNOT get MS Updates to properly work with that laptop, it's a Security Risk! If you have a Credit Card service such as Steam or Xbox Live connected to your Credit Card/ATM/Bank, this laptop is NOT appropriate SINCE IT CANNOT BE LOCKED DOWN WITH THE NECESSARY SECURITY UPDATES! I don't know how I can explain it better than that. Perhaps you are just ignoring my warning and that's up to you; it's your Money and your Privacy. :nono: Downloading a password locker or encrypting your hard drive, folder or app file will NOT protect you from hackers if your OS is not secure AND you have a don't have a good A-V program installed that is up to date!:nono:

BBJ

#24 ·
Putting Steam on that used laptop is no different than putting it on a brand new laptop you go to the Computer store and bring home tonight--it's online Gaming and is the Kiss-of-Death for all laptops! Playing onling Games on laptops will effectively decrease the lifetime of your laptop by 50% or more! Since that's a used laptop, you may only get 6 months out of it versus 1 yr. of use! :nonono: But, what the heak you got it for free, so whatever you want. Sounds like you have more than 1 computer at home anyway. :uhoh:

If one of your other computers is a desktop, better to play online Games WITH THAT DESKTOP, and preserve the life of your laptop. If your desktop is too old, you need to consider buying a Gaming Desktop or building your own Custom-Rig per our Guide here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/tsf-hardware-teams-recommended-builds-2014-a-668661.html
Price range on our builds is $600-$1,800. :smile:

And, like I said previously, since you CANNOT get MS Updates to properly work with that laptop, it's a Security Risk! If you have a Credit Card service such as Steam or Xbox Live connected to your Credit Card/ATM/Bank, this laptop is NOT appropriate SINCE IT CANNOT BE LOCKED DOWN WITH THE NECESSARY SECURITY UPDATES! I don't know how I can explain it better than that. Perhaps you are just ignoring my warning and that's up to you; it's your Money and your Privacy. :nono: Downloading a password locker or encrypting your hard drive, folder or app file will NOT protect you from hackers if your OS is not secure AND you have a don't have a good A-V program installed that is up to date!:nono:

BBJ
Darnnn ittttt that means i cant play online no more as i was hoping to use as my computer for gaming cause it has better specs than the desktop pc that i have. AND ALSO CAUSE I DONT HAVE HOME NTERNET NO MORE ;(

#27 ·
Hello,

To have a look at the Windows update issues, please download and run SURT as suggested by Panther063, as this will help most the time to identify if there is anything wrong with the systems Windows Update files. For a fulle guides on how to run SURT please look Here.

When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

#29 ·
Hello,

To have a look at the Windows update issues, please download and run SURT as suggested by Panther063, as this will help most the time to identify if there is anything wrong with the systems Windows Update files. For a fulle guides on how to run SURT please look Here.

When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log
Ok thanks, ima download it right now, that im on wifi

#30 ·
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 25.0
2014-09-11 12:33

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 425
No errors detected

#31 ·
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 25.0
2014-09-11 11:51

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 1115
No errors detected

#34 ·
SFC /SCANNOW

1. Click on the
    button. Inside the search box type in CMD
  2. Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator
  3. Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  4. Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt

1. Click on the
    button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    Code:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  2. Press Enter
  3. Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or ge.tt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.