Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Laptop randomly shutting off.

This is a discussion on Laptop randomly shutting off. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop I just got(used) is randomly shutting off. The weird part is that it only does it in battery

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop I just got(used) is randomly shutting off. The weird part is that it only does it in battery mode. If it's plugged in it can go forever. It won't last 15 minutes on battery only. I'm using a cooling pad and I've tried all the modes.

Any ideas?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

have you tried replacing the battery? have you cleaned out any dust from it?

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

It came with old and new batteries. It does it with both. There isn't much dust, but would that be an issue since it only does it when not plugged in?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

does the laptop charge when its plugged in?

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

It charges. When it turns off though the battery I'd still at like 95% and then when I start it back up the battery says it's dead....?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Make and model of the laptop please,try cleaning out the airvents and fan with a can of compressed air,will it run ok on just AC power

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

HP TX2500 I think. Tablet pc. Has the 2.2 processor. Runs fine when plugged in to AC. Only does it when on straight battery
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

my old laptop was NEC and it also have auto shutdown problem and lasted for only 30 mins but once i bring my NEC laptop to any laptop repair shop and ask them to fix they say that the fan was moving opposite way instead of clockwise, it turns anti-clockwise and that cause the laptop to auto shutdown and so they change my fan and it work fine now. another way it to bring your laptop to your manufacture and ask them to see whats the problem and repair for you but u must pay a price.