Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop randomly goes blank (Help Please!)

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cl0udedth0ught 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have a Compaq laptop. I havn't even had it for a year yet I got it in June of last year as a graduation present and up until last Friday it was working perfectly fine.

What happens is i'll be using it then the screen fades to black like when you put it to sleep but the thing is it won't come back on. What I do is I press the start button to turn it off completely and restart it and the start button light will come on and the fan will start and that's about as far as it will go. The fan stops but the start button light is still on and the light on my capslock button flashes one and off.

So when this happened on Friday I turned it off and in a couple of hours that same night I tried it again and it came on and worked like normal. I looked up on the internet to see what could have been the problem and I read about overheating problems and well that day I had had it on my bed all day while I used it and I did tend to leave my charger plugged in all the time even when the battery was full and I read how that wasn't good either so I figured overheating must be the problem so after that night I started sitting my laptop on hard surfaced books and I took the charger out of plug when the battery didn't need charging.

Saturday and Sunday went on without any problems and so did most of yesterday until late last night it did the same thing it did on Friday and this morning it's still not coming on all the way. What could be causing this? Is putting it on a hard cover book not enough to keep it from over heating?

I'd also like to point out that i'm a heavy computer user so maybe i'm wearing it down too much and now that I think about it it had started to run a little slower recently and might have to much stuff on it and needs to clean it out?

Any suggestions would be much appretiated. Thanks in advanced for reading all the above:thumb:lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome to TSF!

It may have been overheating. There is nowhere for the heat to go if it wasn't on a hard flat surface. With that being said, being on a hard cover book should be fine as long as the vent from the fan isn't blocked. If you can no longer get it to turn on and boot up, try the steps listed in this guide. Note any changes in the system state(if any) and post them back on here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/black-screen-issues-and-troubleshooting-498132.html

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.