Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Laptop mouse keeps going crazy!

This is a discussion on Laptop mouse keeps going crazy! within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Latitude C600/C500 that I got from a friend. He bought it refurbished. Here's the problem: Out

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to GatorFromNC
EEK!

I have a Dell Latitude C600/C500 that I got from a friend. He bought it refurbished.

Here's the problem: Out of no where every once and a while the mouse pointer will just go off on it's own into either the left corners or over to the right corners. I've tried to use another mouse through USB, but the same thing happens again. It will usually stop after I give the mouse pad a tap or two. (yes I know that's not good; hence my post here lol)

I have tried to re-install the driver for the mouse (i think?), but that didn't work. It's running on Windows XP Professional V. 2002 Service Pack 3 and says it has Intel Pentium III processor.

I dunno if all that was necessary, but figured it would be better to give as much info as possible about the actual computer to maybe cut down on back and forth posts.

So, does that make sense AND does anyone know what to do to about it?

Thanks!!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

1. Test the mouse on a 2nd unit and see if you get same issues
2. Reseat the ram.

Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello GatorFromNC and welcome to TSF,

The issue is probably with the trackpad itself. Even though you connect an external mouse, the trackpad will still control the cursor. I don't believe your computer has the option to turn the trackpad off.

One quick question. Does this occur when you are typing?
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
Hello GatorFromNC and welcome to TSF,

The issue is probably with the trackpad itself. Even though you connect an external mouse, the trackpad will still control the cursor. I don't believe your computer has the option to turn the trackpad off.

One quick question. Does this occur when you are typing?
Sometimes. It seems to be an equal opportunity freak out though. The pointer will just go off into a corner and stays there. Sometimes it will stop by itself; sometimes not. It's kind of old and looks like the previous owner dropped it. I guess it's something I'll have to live with cause I don't want to put any money in it if I don't have to.

Thanks for your reply!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

If you use a mouse regularly, you could disconnect the trackpad from the motherboard. This should completely disable it, and you (hopefully) shouldn't have any more issues with it.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Sounds like a plan to me!! THANK YOU!!!!! I'm already on the case and hopefully in a little while I'll have an un-haunted laptop again. :)