Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Laptop battery won't charge/adapter LED blinking

This is a discussion on Laptop battery won't charge/adapter LED blinking within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I apologize in advance if this question has been addressed before. I'm having a difficult time finding a thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello! I apologize in advance if this question has been addressed before. I'm having a difficult time finding a thread that is similar to the problem I'm having.

I have a Toshiba Tecra M7 that has been having power issues. I noticed that the power jack was loose on the laptop and whenever I would turn on my computer, the battery led on the laptop would start blinking, the led on the adapter brick would blink as well, and the computer would shut down. I found that by wiggling the adapter, I could sometimes get the computer to stay on.

Recently, I decided to change the jack since it was loose. Since it's the type connected by a harness, it was a fairly easy and straightforward replacement. Following the replacement, my computer's issue of not receiving sufficient power seemed to be lessened, so I assume that was a part of the problem. Now my laptop will actually turn on with the battery in and the adapter plugged, but the battery doesn't always charge. I have to actually position the adapter a certain way in the laptop jack before it charges. I also have a hard time getting the laptop to run on just AC power without the battery, and have to maneuver the charger tip to get the computer to turn on.

If I unplug the adapter from the laptop, the brick LED stays on, though. Is it likely that the adapter needs replacing? Or is there some other possible problem? It's one of those Targus adapters with the changeable tips.

Sorry if all that is confusing. I can try to be a little clearer if need be. Thanks so much in advance for any assistance!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

There may be a problem with power adapter? Check the tip for any problems?

See if you can test with another power adapter.