Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop battery will not charge (or turn on?) [DETAILS INSIDE]

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BosonMichael 
#1 · (Edited)
As stated, my problem is that my laptop will not turn on and or charge the battery from the laptop. (useful information is in BOLD for your convenience)
Laptop: Gateway MA7 <- laptop's reference guide from the gateway website for better understanding (if any).

Symptoms/Problem:
-Battery will not charge; thus, laptop will not turn on.
-Laptop battery not receiving power from laptop's DC jack.
-Bad DC Jack (I've plugged in two different kinds of working adapters, but they do not turn on the laptop).
-Power-on malfunction.
-Motherboard fried (really off chance).

This was not my laptop to begin with. This was my sisters a few years back... about 3-6. It's still in good condition other than the problem it has. I was digging around my old "collectibles" of electronic goodies and came across this fella. I could REALLY use this for college and save a TON of money as a basic laptop for school work and internet browsing (I live off the US financial aid). Money is tight for me; therefore, spending my money needs to be precise.

I've considered a few options:
-Have it repaired by a local computer store by supplying a DC jack bought from amazon.com (I figure the cost would be around 100 dollars)
(but there can be a risk of that not being the problem!)

-Fixing this solution myself once I find out the exact problem (although I am not good with soldering). [cheapest solution, but more risk of ruining the motherboard]

-Sell it for scrap and use the money to invest in a slightly newer laptop.
(Personally I believe that's horrible. I remember this laptop being pretty good.)

I honestly believe the problem is the power jack, but this is all the information I can provide at the moment. If you need any other info such as photos, internal specs, etc... I will reply as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance, TSF

~Badgood

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm not handy at all (just ask my wife!) but I learned to solder specifically so I could repair the DC power jack in my 7-year-old Dell laptop. And it worked like a charm. However, I was certain that the jack was the problem. Wiggling the power cord in the jack would cause the power light to flicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.