Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Laptop Audio "Skipping"

This is a discussion on Laptop Audio "Skipping" within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I could not decide where to post my question so ended up here in Windows 7 forum. Also, I have

Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

I could not decide where to post my question so ended up here in Windows 7 forum. Also, I have searched the forums and nothing that has been suggested works.

For about 6 months now my computer audio has been making a "skipping" or stuttering noise about every minute or sooner. It does this whether I am watching a DVD, MPEG, or any other type of video. It will do the same when listening to any audio file.

I have tried updating all of my computer's drivers from the manufacturer's website but no luck. I am using a very lightweight media player (it "skips" on any media player) and have plenty of CPU and memory available when the problem occurs.

Today I ran across a post in a different forum that may make some sense of things for someone that has some computer knowledge. It definitely isn't me.

"This problem was driving me nuts for weeks. I had to stop myself from throwing this thing out the window and getting a free one under dells accident coverage I was so upset with them, but I figured it out.

It actually has nothing to do with the sound, it's the cpu and its power save feature. One of the cores will drop to half clock speed (for me it drops from 2ghz to 1ghz) when it isn't in use. Apparently, things don't work smoothly when that happens.

You can see that it isn't just the sound by opening notepad, turn on wordwrap and hold down any letter. Follow it across the screen with your eyes and you'll see it pause for a moment every second or so.... at the same intervals that you get audio problems. It's like the cpu just stops for a split second and starts working again.

The solution I've found is to adjust your power management settings so that the frequency of both cores will always stay at max clock speed, you can check it in notepad after you change those settings and you'll see the letters move across the screen like butter, and of course... the audio problems will be gone.

I wonder what causes this... I know it happens every time the core transitions from high to low and vice versa, but why isn't it smoother. Is this a problem with all core duo processors or just the cpu/mobo combination in the e1505 and 6400?"

Posted by User "cantoes" from: Audio keeps skipping on my laptop

Sure enough notepad hangs at the same time the "skip" occurs. I went into power options to try to do what the person said and the best I could come up with was the Max and Min CPU usage when plugged in or only on battery. Playing with these settings had no affect on the audio.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to get this fixed for a while now.

Thank you for your time,
Mars

Old 10-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check your temperatures

Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

I am going to check into that now.

Thank you for your reply
Mars

i dled a program to check and help regulate temps. b4 the program program the processors were holding about 54 degrees c. It is keeping them below 50. It is still skipping however though but maybe not quite as often. Are these temps normal?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

they are not high for a laptop

try with this player

VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows
Old 11-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yep that's the one I use. I've also tried others. Windows Media Player and Quicktime do it as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Hardware Tech Team

My System

What make/model laptop is this?

Did you try to set the CPU to max performance to see if the issue persists?

In Power Options set it the plan to High Performance to test.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yep. I've tried that as well. I have a dell inspiron 1525.

Edit* I've changed the computer to a high performance power setting. Is there a way to change CPU performance too?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Usually when you select the High Performance profile the CPU Power Management is set too 100%

Once you make the changes and apply restart the laptop.

Making these changes will cause the laptop to run hotter.