Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Keyboard behaves strangely - buttons act as if being held down

This is a discussion on Keyboard behaves strangely - buttons act as if being held down within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I knocked a bottle of water onto my lenovo laptop keyboard a while ago. I believe it was on at

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

I knocked a bottle of water onto my lenovo laptop keyboard a while ago. I believe it was on at the time. The keyboard stopped working, so I now use a wireless keyboard. Generally, it's okay, but it keeps doing this strange thing where a key on the laptop keyboard will behave like it's being pressed constantly. This manifests itself in these ways:

Alt acts like it's being pressed very rapidly, displayed by the File bit at the top of the browser flashing blue.

B, space or 0 sometimes act like they're being held down. I noticed this when I was trying to enter a password.

Sometimes, it acts as if alt gr and arrow keys are being held down and the screen just rotates randomly.

I can fix all of these temporarily by running my hand back and forth across the keyboard like a mad pianist, but it's not an ideal solution and doesn't last very long.

I'm assuming that the laptop keyboard is impossible to mend, but I was wondering if there's a way for me to shut it off or tell the computer to ignore it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

The liquid turns the dust and debris into a conductive path for current leakage and makes the encoder chip think keys are being depressed. What that means is what you already know . . . your keyboard is messed up. Some keyboards can be disassembled allowing the possibility of repair by skillful cleaning while others are impossible to service. That's the bad news. The good news is that used keyboards are often easily found on eBay for $25-30.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks very much for the swift reply.

I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but is there no way I can just disable the keyboard built into my laptop while still allowing my wireless keyboard to work? I'm not confident about my cleaning skill, nor my ability to physically open the thing up and put it back together again.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

The only way to disable it is to unplug it. On some models it may not be terribly difficult. Before proceeding, make sure that your external keyboard works at power-on such that you are able to press F2 or DEL to enter SETUP. If that works, continue reading.

Look on the bottom of the laptop at the screw holes. Any holes with the letter "K" and an arrow pointing at the hole would be those which hold the keyboard on the base. There usually are between 3 and 6 screws. You need a #1 Phillips screwdriver. Do NOT remove any screws from holes that are not marked "K".

After removing the screws, if nothing else is holding it, the top (where the numbers and Fn keys are) should lift up EASILY. If not, then you may as well put the screws back in because further disassembly will be beyond your skill level. If it does come out, you will see a flat cable attaching it to the system board. With a gentle but steady pull it will slip out of the connector. Now you can put the screws back in.

Hope this works for you.