Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Key producing wrong letter

This is a discussion on Key producing wrong letter within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently had some problems with my laptop and towards the end my 'L' key was producing a 'J', I

Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently had some problems with my laptop and towards the end my 'L' key was producing a 'J', I figured this was just another problem to add to the list but I've just done a full reinstall of windows and the probjem is still there and it's driving me mad. I've read through various google entries and have eliminated the 'numlock' problem and have checked the keyboard regional settings are all correct. I'm only abje to type L with the onscreen keyboard at the moment.

Any ideas on the cause of this?
Cheers

Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi HUgh20, welcome to TSF

sounds like you have a fualty keyboard. hook it up to an external keyboard and see if it does the same thing. i know you said on screen keyboard works and you done a reinstall so that would leave the keyboard itself in my opinion. are you under warranty?

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. After turning on my laptop today the key seems to be working fine... I restarted it several times when setting it up yesterday and the problem was still there. Odd but I have a feeling my laptop is on the way out, its about 6 months out of warranty.
Oh well thanks for the help anyway!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

have you tried blowing your vents out with compressed air.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is online now   Reply With Quote