Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Inverter

This is a discussion on Inverter within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How can I tell if an LCD inverter board is bad? Can I hook up direct power to the LCD

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

How can I tell if an LCD inverter board is bad? Can I hook up direct power to the LCD panel to ensure that it's working fine (backlight). I just had someone purchase a used LCD that was guarenteed in good working condition to fix their problem with a dim display (because I was told it was a backlight issues and the backlight needed to be replaced). I wasn't about to try changing out a backlight. Needless to say, after putting in the new display, I get the same results.

My brother-in-law has some cold cathode ray tubes in his computer, can I use one of the inverters from those to test the backlight and see if it's the inverter? If the backlight works, how can I test to see if the inverter is even getting any juice?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
PurpleSky

Have you checked that all the connectors and cables are seated correctly? Maybe a cable is broken? Particularly the cable which connects the display to the rest of the laptop , is pretty likely to break, as it must move a lot during its lifetime (opening and shutting the lid).

Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrearley
How can I tell if an LCD inverter board is bad? Can I hook up direct power to the LCD panel to ensure that it's working fine (backlight). I just had someone purchase a used LCD that was guarenteed in good working condition to fix their problem with a dim display (because I was told it was a backlight issues and the backlight needed to be replaced). I wasn't about to try changing out a backlight. Needless to say, after putting in the new display, I get the same results.

My brother-in-law has some cold cathode ray tubes in his computer, can I use one of the inverters from those to test the backlight and see if it's the inverter? If the backlight works, how can I test to see if the inverter is even getting any juice?

Thanks,
Mike
Most LCD inverters are system specific. You may need an inverter from the same system. If the manufacturer of the laptop no longer sells it, or will not sell it, check EBAY.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Post the make and model of the laptop and we will see if there are other places you can buy inverters from. Some places sell 3rd party inverters for some brands.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

One laptop has a bad inverter the other has a bad backlight. I resoldered the plug for the backlight onto a generic inverter for a cold cathode ray tube that put out 600 something watts. I knew this wouldn't be as high as what the inverter for the laptop puts out, but it'd tell me if the lcd and backlight were working.

I tried each of the LCD's and the first one lit right up. I hooked up the main video cable from the laptop, powered it on and with it plugged into the cold cathode's inverter, it diplayed a very nice and well lit desktop. The other one did't though... the display stayed dim leading me to beleive that the backlight it toast.

Thanks to all that responded.

I've already ordered an inverter for the one laptop (it's a Pavilion N5310) and I'm trying to locate an LCD for the Dell Inspiron 1100 (14.1" LCD).

--
Mike
Old 05-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

This place has the screens for that model. http://www.parts-people.com/index.ph...start=15&id=29
They also show an inverter, but it is not in stock.
Is there a part # on the Dell inverter?