Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

IBM Frozen on Splash Screen

This is a discussion on IBM Frozen on Splash Screen within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have been having trouble with my IBM t41 lately. It is running under Windows XP PRO SP2. It

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have been having trouble with my IBM t41 lately. It is running under Windows XP PRO SP2. It first crashed a month ago, but i was able to recover data on the HD and reinstall windows.

Then it crashed a few days ago with the error "missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe". Again, i was able to salvage my documents.

I decided to run a program called spinrite (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm) to see how bad my hard drive was messed up. During the middle of the scan, it froze. I restarted the scan, and again, it froze at the same point. I decided to try one more time, but during the restart, the laptop froze on the IBM flash screen. If i press F12 for the temporary boot list, or F1 for bios setup, it does not do anything. It simply says preparing to enter setup screen or preparing boot list.

Then i decided to remove the hard drive, it did manage to reach the BIOS setup but after about 3-4 mins of wait on the IBM splash screen.

I am trying to figure out what the problem is here. Is it the hard drive? If it is, then why is taking so long to reach the BIOS setup? What should i do next?

P.S. - I hope i am referring to the screens by their appropriate names.

Thanks a lot for your interest in this issue,
-monkeyman.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

It is normal for the laptop to get confused if something major changes, like the HD going away. Do you have a screen with temps in the bios? Does it ever lock up in bios?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrister View Post
It is normal for the laptop to get confused if something major changes, like the HD going away. Do you have a screen with temps in the bios? Does it ever lock up in bios?
I dont know what screen you are talking about but it does not lock up in BIOS.

UPDATE: now everytime i boot with the HD out, it works fine, i can run my XP CD but it cant install obviously b/c of the missing HD. Anyways, i am almost positive the HD was the problem now. All i need is a different hard drive to test out my theory. Any ideas where i can get a cheap HD?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Tigerdirect or Newegg are the places I normally shop for these sort of things.