Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

I can't turn my netbook on!

This is a discussion on I can't turn my netbook on! within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a compaq mini 700 netnook. When I tried to turn it on yesterday it wouldn't start. Nothing

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a compaq mini 700 netnook. When I tried to turn it on yesterday it wouldn't start. Nothing happens when I slide the "on" switch.

I thought it might be that it had ran out of power, but I have subsequently plugged it in, and a blue light flashes, indicated that it is plugged in correctly.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Is there anything that I can try to make it work?!

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Registered Member

resetting the ram, try powering with the battery removed, check the power adapter for correct voltage.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your help Leo.

I've already removed the battery, and tried starting it with the power power adapter attached, but to no avail.

How do I go about resetting the ram?

Also, how do I test the power adapter for correct voltage? The power adapter came with the netbook, so are you suggesting that (because of a fault) it might now be giving a different voltage than before?

Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

to test the adapter you are going to need a multimeter.
to reset the ram you have to gain access to where the ram is. this may void you warranty though. You may also have a defective switch. try keeping the slider pushed for a longer period.
With the adapter plugged in do the battery charging light, light up?

I had worked on a laptop that had similar problem to what you are describing. Turned out that the adapter didn't have enough power to run it. With the adapter plugged in and as soon as i hit he start button the led in the button would blink for a sec and then shut off.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

I don't really have much technical knowledge, so I'm not sure if I feel confident testing the voltage or opening the netbook up.

When I plug the adapter in, a purple light flashes, which I think is what is supposed to happen. I've also tried holding the switch for a long time.

It looks like I may have to take it somewhere to get repaired? Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should go? I live in North Kent in the UK. There's a few computer repair places in my local town, but I have a feeling they tend to overcharge for simple jobs. What's the repair place like at PC World?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
King of Sporks

My System

Try removing all power sources (Battery and AC) and holding the power button for 10-20 seconds, then reconnect power and try to turn it on again.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion sporkinator, but I had already tried that.

Where do people generally go for computer repairs? Depending on the problem, how much should I expect to pay to have it repaired? Obviously I don't want to spend near to the purchase price!

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello neilsolaris,

First, is your laptop under warranty?
If it is, contact HP via the support site and request an RMA.

If it is not, I would like you to read through and follow the outlines in the Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting thread. This will require taking your laptop apart, so be sure you are comfortable with doing that.

Here is a link to the Service/Maintenance guide for your laptop. It will give you the information you need to help disassemble your laptop and reassemble it successfully.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01631228.pdf

Good luck and post back the results.

-GZ

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Closed Thread