Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Hp Pavilion Zv6000 Shuts Off Randomly

This is a discussion on Hp Pavilion Zv6000 Shuts Off Randomly within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recurring Problem With My Laptop Shutting Off Unexpectedly This Just Started Happening Within The Past Few Months (had It Since

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Recurring Problem With My Laptop Shutting Off Unexpectedly This Just Started Happening Within The Past Few Months (had It Since 12/2005) Mostly Happens When Running Games Or Websites With Advanced Graphics. When I Plug It In The Fan Starts Running Faster And It Will Shut Off In The Middle Of A Game Or While On The Web. Generally Occurs Only When Plugged In. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Did you ever update any drivers from windows updates?
I had a freind that updated his network card drivers at windows updates and he experenced the same problem. I rolled the drivers back and it stoped.

Never use windows updates for drivers allways go to the computer manufactures site for driver updates.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

have you checked the temps? use SpeedFan or similar to check on the temps. observe and note the temp how high it can go or until the laptop shuts off. another way is feel the vents if it is giving out hot air. warm air is normal. if it does, give it a good clean. use a can of air and shoot some thru the vents and heatsink to remove dust and any obstruction.

while using the laptop, be conscious that you do not by accident cover the vents with anything.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
have you checked the temps? use SpeedFan or similar to check on the temps. observe and note the temp how high it can go or until the laptop shuts off. another way is feel the vents if it is giving out hot air. warm air is normal. if it does, give it a good clean. use a can of air and shoot some thru the vents and heatsink to remove dust and any obstruction.

while using the laptop, be conscious that you do not by accident cover the vents with anything.

I had the same problem with my Toshiba laptop after increasing the RAM to 2 GB. The machine ran very hot and would shutdown. I bought a coolpad and I leave my laptop sitting on the coolpad with its extra fans and have not had a problem since.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

I Have Never Updated Any Drivers With Windows So It Must Be The Temp. It Does Blow Hot Air When Its Been Running For A While. Im Fairly New To Do It Yourself Work On Computers :) And Ive Never Heard Of Speedfan?? Is It A Component Of Windows Xp?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

SpeedFan is a free program (Google for download page) that you can use to know your temps. This is not part of Windows XP.

If you are not comfortable in DIY then bring it to a repair shop. they would gladly do the job for you.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Okay Thanks for ALL THE HELP!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

I wanted to bump this back up. Did the suggested fixes work for you? I've thought about opening up the laptop to vaccuum or blow out any dust in there that might be hindering the fans. I've got an extended warranty but I'd hate to wait several weeks if all it needs is to be cleaned out.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Well to be honest I havent actually tried any solutions as of yet but i do plan on trying to blow the dust off of the fans to see if that helps and maybe getting a coolpad will help also.