Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] HP Pavilion won't boot

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  g2c 
#1 ·
Hello,

My pavilion dv9750ej stopped booting up. when powered, the fan will run, and an access is made to the disk twice -you hear the heads moving- When powered with RAM removed it beeps 4 times and the blue LED by the power button flashes but there is nothing on the screen. I don't know how to make any progress from here.

Thanks in advance for your time

Guy

#3 ·
Re: HP Pavilion won't boot

The noise of the HDD you're hearing, can you explain the sounds the HDD is making....eg clicking. This could be a sign of the HDD failing or has failed.
Well, i'd expect that even with a broken hdd the bios should display the boot options etc. The HDD noise is certainly due to moving the heads to park position, maybe initiated by the controller independently of the processor

#4 ·

Do you get a display with a monitor connected to the VGA port?

What kind of beeps do you get? Are they 4 short or a mix of long and short?

Could be the CMOS battery, RAM or motherboard. Try replacing the battery and testing the RAM one stick at a time.

#5 ·

Hello Kaola,
Thanks for your reply
When i connect an external monitor to the db15 and press f4 there is no more display then on the inbuilt monitor: black screen.
As for the sound, here is what i hear: At second 3, the fan starts, second 5 and 8 resp. the first and second disc accesses. The bips are played when no memory stick is fitted. Clearly the CPU works and executes some power on test. Any idea on how do i go from here?
Thanks

#6 ·

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a few days. :smile:

If you're still getting the same 4 short beeps with or without the RAM installed, try cleaning the gold fingers on the RAM using a pencil eraser, and blow out any dust from the RAM slots before reseating the sticks and switching back on.

If you still get the beeps after cleaning and reseating, test the RAM in another suitable computer to see if you get the same beeps or error. Finally, try some new RAM to confirm the motherboard slots are working. A Local PC repair shop will be able test both the RAM and motherboard if you don't have access to other compatible equipment.

#7 ·

Hello,

My pavilion dv9750ej stopped booting up..... When powered with RAM removed it beeps 4 times and the blue LED by the power button flashes but there is nothing on the screen.

Guy
The computer will not boot up or go into BIOS with RAM removed.
Remove the hard disk with RAM installed as usual, then it should display options.
If the screen is still blank, then there are other issues.

#8 ·

Thanks you Kaola and Panther

while i was trying to test the combinations of with / without memory / disk, suddenly the display started to talk to me. With the disk inserted the machine booted into the recovered system. Maybe there was some dirt in one of the memory connectors

if it were not in the attempt to answer your questions i might have thrown the machine to the electronic recycling containers
Thanks again

#9 ·

Thanks for posting back with your solution. I'll mark this thread as solved. :smile:

If the problem returns, open up the case and make sure everything is clean, and all cables and cards are firmly inserted and locked in position.

#10 ·
This laptop is in bad shape. It'd been stolen and found (by the police) thanks of the dyndns client but ever since it's health is shaky. it was salty and very hot atmosphere by the sea and i had to dismount it several times to clean or fix (or remove altogether) parts so now it has no mouse pad no keyboard no switches panel no cd no fingerprint reader... Of course, many of the zif connectors / cables are at their limit but i have deep sentiments for it :) and when it has its good mood it can work for days and weeks is surveillance while i'm out

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.