Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

HP Pavilion DV7-3020ea - Will power on for a second before powering off again!

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion DV7-3020ea - Will power on for a second before powering off again! within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi A friend of mine has a HP Pavilion DV7 laptop. The laptop has been overheating for some time resulting

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

A friend of mine has a HP Pavilion DV7 laptop. The laptop has been overheating for some time resulting in the computer powering off. Now the condition has gradually gotten worse and he asked me to have a look. The laptop is out of warranty so I began disassembling the laptop and noticed the fan was clogged with dust, bugs and fluff. However, after cleaning the fan and cleaning the processors and reapply the silver cooling substances, the laptop did power on for a while before overheating again, again resulting in the laptop powering off. However, now the laptop will not power on (or stay on). The laptop LED light for the power supply will stay on when connected. Upon pressing the power switch the lights on the laptop will flash with the fan spinning for a second before the laptop powers off again. I've tried a cold reset (holdiing down the power button for 30-60 seconds). The problem also occurs with just the battery installed.

I'm thinking the system board has become faulty during the overheating period, and now it will need replaced. But I want to make sure it is the system board....as I don't want my friend to purchase a new one and it not making a difference. However, it does looks very likely!!

I've been reading about this brand/model and there has been so many cases of this happening - apparently a design flaw on HP Pavilion models. The laptop is only 1 year and 7 months old - you would expect this problem to occur later in its life!!

Has this problem happened to anybody else here, and if so, how did you go about fixing it (apart from purchasing a Toshiba laptop)??

Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello thehitch and welcome to TSF,

The problem with this is that the computer has been overheating regularly for quite some time now. This can affect just about every component in the computer. The most likely culprit would be a bad motherboard due to component failure (capacitor/PCB/IC etc.).

Here is a link to the black screen troubleshooting sticky. It contains an excellent outline on troubleshooting procedure for black screen for unknown cause.

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

This thread has been closed due to inactivity.
If you are the Original Poster and require more assistance with this issue, please contact me or any HW MOD and we will reopen the thread.
Thank-you,
~GZ
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Closed Thread
Gear in this thread