Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

HP Pavilion DV6 laptop won't power up

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion DV6 laptop won't power up within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The full model is: HP Pavilion dv6-1216sa 15.6 inch Notebook (AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-74, 4 GB RAM,

Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

The full model is: HP Pavilion dv6-1216sa 15.6 inch Notebook (AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-74, 4 GB RAM, 320GB SATA HDD, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530, LightScribe)

I was busy browsing on it a few days ago (it had only been switched on for about 10 minutes or so) and all of a sudden it just died! The laptop wasn't being moved at the time - I didn't click or open any funny attachment - nothing. Dead.

When I try to power it back on, the lights come on and I'm pretty sure that for a split second, the fan does too - but that's it. Max 2 seconds and it's dead again. Nothing even has a chance of appearing on screen.

I've tried the following to eliminate:

1) Hard drive - no problem here. Removed it and docks perfectly fine (without errors) to any other computer

2) Battery - Removed it and tried powering up. No difference.

3) Power cord - Removed it and tried powering on with only the battery. No difference

4) Taken the whole thing apart to see if I can see any loose cables or dust build-up inside. Nothing.

5) Holding down the power button for 30 seconds.

I've had the laptop since August 2009. Any suggestions or thoughts??

I'm no techie by far but vaguely know my way around.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello SimonaB,

Does the light around the DC jack light when you plug the computer in? (if not around the jack, there should be a light to indicate power somewhere)

Here is a link to your service manual.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01758220.pdf

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Gavin. Yep, as soon as I plug the power lead in, the little light comes on.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, xp SP3, kubuntu & Windows Vista

Send a message via Skype™ to Derreem

Did u try removing all external hardware and then try powering up
Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derreem View Post
Did u try removing all external hardware and then try powering up
Mmm, by "external hardware" do you mean anything connected to the laptop (such as via USB or other cables)? If so, there was nothing plugged in at the time (apart from the power cable) and nothing now.

Mmm, something else that might be worth mentioning. Since more or less the very beginning, I've had problems with the laptop over heating and temps pushing 80C easily on the core (watching movies while browsing and with other apps open).

When I googled around, it seems to be a very common problem with these laptops.

Two or three times (max) in the past 18 months that I've had the laptop since new, it's gone into auto-shut down when it overheats or I've been using it for too many hours at a time. If I let it cool down, it then powers back up with no problems.

But I always have a well vented and all vents clear of obstructions. And quite often (if working on the laptop for long periods) use one of those usb connected fan trays to help keep it cool.

When it now died, I only had it on for about 10 minutes when it happened (wasn't hot) - and I hadn't used it for 3 weeks (away on holiday).
Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, xp SP3, kubuntu & Windows Vista

Send a message via Skype™ to Derreem

Literally remove the HDD and anything else that u could remove and leave the case open remove the battery also and try powering with the Adapter check put a fan directly on the laptop and see What happens
Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for trying to help Derreem. OK, I have removed Hard drive, battery, memory & DVD (can't see or think of anything else to remove) - no difference whatsoever. Still tries to power up for about 1 second & I can hear the fan. Deductions?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Hello SimonaB,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.

The computer, when it attempts to turn on does it "cycle"? What I mean by this is, do the lights come on for a period of, say, 20 seconds then turn off for a couple seconds and come back on?
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Gavin. Unfortunately not. When I press the power button, it only tries to turn on for about 1 second (I can hear the fan and little lights on the keyboard turn on) but after that split second, it just shuts off again. Then nothing.
The same keeps happening no matter how many times I try this. No difference.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

It is acting like a power issue. When you turn the computer on, does the light (where the power plugs in) dim or go out?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Registered Member

Check first his heat sink is not dust and then near the power jack have one BGA IC resoled it or replace it your problem is solved
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

To make sure the power supply for your laptop, use the multi-meter tag on the DC Power Jack, see any voltage. Most of the fault caused by the bad contact of Power DC jack
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
It is acting like a power issue. When you turn the computer on, does the light (where the power plugs in) dim or go out?
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been away.
Nope, as long as it's plugged in, the power light stays on - perfectly solid and stable.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umarabbasi View Post
Check first his heat sink is not dust and then near the power jack have one BGA IC resoled it or replace it your problem is solved
Thanks, but I have no idea what this means and doesn't sound like something I can resolve or do myself.

Is this a motherboard issue? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlectronic View Post
To make sure the power supply for your laptop, use the multi-meter tag on the DC Power Jack, see any voltage. Most of the fault caused by the bad contact of Power DC jack
Sorry, but I'm not an electrician and don't have voltage tools.
I don't know what a DC jack is.

All I know is that it doesn't work - whether plugged into the wall or running on battery.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #16
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Hello again SimonaB,

Welcome back. The actual cause of your issue eludes me at the moment. It isn't your fault, I am having a hard time asking the right questions in this case.

How comfortable are you with disassembling the computer?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello again SimonaB,

Welcome back. The actual cause of your issue eludes me at the moment. It isn't your fault, I am having a hard time asking the right questions in this case.

How comfortable are you with disassembling the computer?
Thanks for persevering Gavin :-)

I'm pretty OK with that and wouldn't have a problem stripping it back as far as I need to.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but here goes: when I press the power button and the machine tries to power up for that milli second, all the little lights come on for that split second too.
The one on the DVD drive, the wifi, the sound, a little light by the touch pad and another one one the right hand side.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

The above link is the service manual for your notebook.

Follow the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following linked thread.
Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting

Post back your results and any changes you may notice.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:

The above link is the service manual for your notebook.

Follow the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following linked thread.
Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting

Post back your results and any changes you may notice.
Thanks for that. OK, need to summon up some energy first! Will post back later today.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #20
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Take your time. Read the service manual. It will save you some headaches.

Grab a pillbox... (not for self-medication) So you can keep the screws separated by type.

You will need, at least, a #1 Phillips Screwdriver and a small flat screwdriver.

Good luck!