Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

HP laptop wont boot. AC power light flashing.

This is a discussion on HP laptop wont boot. AC power light flashing. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a HP dv6000, and last night it shut off by itself all of a sudden. first I thought

Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I have a HP dv6000, and last night it shut off by itself all of a sudden. first I thought maybe it was just overheated. so I waited for an hour or so and tried to turn it back on..however it shut off right about 2 seconds after its turned on. then I tried a few more times, the problem persists. so i decided to just let it cool off for the night, hoping it would return to its normal state by the next morning.
and it did.. for about half an hour it was working fine.. until i saw a wisp of smoke coming out of the AC adapter, so I shut off the laptop right away.. now it wouldn't turn back on anymore.. and whenever i connect the computer with the ac adapter, the power light on the laptop as well as the light on the AC adapter would flash once a few seconds..the adapter also makes this zzzz sound every time the light flashes.. and if i take out the battery and connect the ac adapter with the laptop the power light on the laptop would be completely off.. however the light on the adapter would be on without flashing..
I have searched it up on the internet and found out there's most likely something wrong with either the AC adapter or the motherboard.. but is there anyway to tell which is the cause of this.. cuz i don't have a spare AC adapter right now and wouldn't want to go all the way to get a new one just to find out later that it wasn't the adapter that's not working properly..
any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I would recommend stop using the Adapter. See if you can get another for testing purposes.

Rule out the adapter first before looking at the DC Jack or the motrherboard.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi see the info here AC/DC Power adapter >> Laptop Parts 101

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Normally when an AC adaptor light flashes its the motherboard spitting back out the power . So it could be a motherboard problem. But yes get a new charger and check the DC Port on the laptop.

Please post Hardware Specifications of your computer.(Including Power Supply!).
Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Info & Selection of PSU's
A1tecice is offline   Reply With Quote