Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

HP laptop shuts off

This is a discussion on HP laptop shuts off within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a laptop that turns on for 5 second (battery or power supply) then shuts off. The fan turns,

Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a laptop that turns on for 5 second (battery or power supply) then shuts off. The fan turns, the light where the power supply is plugged is on.

Just get HP screen then shuts off.

When I remove the RAM it stays on and beeps.

Is it a problem with the RAM or something else ?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
TSF Articles Team

My System

Try removing the battery, disconnecting the AC charger. Then, hold the power button for 30 seconds. After this, connect only the AC power, (do not reconnect battery), and see if it starts up then.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm able to start it by pressing ESC key rapidly. It takes about 2 or 3 tries before it works. Another thing, I plugged the laptop to a surge protector, when I turn the surge protector on the cooling pad connected to the usb works but after I press the start button on the laptop and it shuts down after 5 seconds, the cooling pad stops working.

Right now I'm running a full diagnostics, so far it tells me the battery is finished.

What I need to find out now is why I can only keep the power on by the pressing ESC key. Any idea on that ?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
TSF Articles Team

My System

It could be that it is skipping a test that was causing it to turn off. Highly unlikely, but I can't really think of another reason for that.

Try removing the battery, plugging only the AC power, without the cooling pad and bypass the surge protector as well (plug directly into the power outlet), and see if it still does the same.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

One of the tests gives
pci device check failed

does it mean the video card is finished ? Is that why it shuts off ?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
TSF Articles Team

My System

A PCI device isn't necessary the graphics card. But, if you can load in and do said diagnostics, it clearly hasn't failed yet.
If there is a log of that diagnostics you are doing, it'd be great if you can output it to a notepad file and attach it to a post here so we can see in detail what it says is wrong.

Btw, if you don't try the fixes I suggest, I won't be able to pinpoint your problem very accurately.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

no information in the log. ram test passed. dst passed. video memory passed. battery failed. pci device check failed.
Is there a way to find out which pci device fails ?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

The only error is pci device check failure on the start-up test. Since this is in the start-up test does this have to do with a boot up device ? There are no boot up device except hard drive and cdrom. Or is it motherboard related ?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Run a test with Window 7 repair, didn't find any problems. After that it worked for a couple of times without pressing Esc. Seems to be an intermittent problem. But what is causing it ???
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
TSF Articles Team

My System

Have you tried this? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStormKuja View Post
Try removing the battery, plugging only the AC power, without the cooling pad and bypass the surge protector as well (plug directly into the power outlet), and see if it still does the same.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Registered Member

yes already tried. The only reason I put the cooling pad is because the hard drive was getting too hot.

I was able to get some info from the HP forum

The laptops has blink light codes the same way that desktop has beep codes.

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot HP Pavilion dv5000 Notebook PC series - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

the caps blinks 1 time when a press the power button, there is a 2 secs pause and than a second blink.

If this counts as 2 blinks according to the chart it's a bios corruption problem.
Loaded the default bios but didn't solve the problem.
If it's only 1 blink (because of the pause) than it's cpu problem.

I haven't opened the laptop yet, but is there a cmos battery on the motherboard ?

If there is maybe it's finished and causes bios corruption.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
TSF Articles Team

My System

Yes, there should be a CMOS battery. It could be that.

Have you accidently dropped or banged your laptop against something recently? The 5 second boot then power down could be because the CPU overheats. This could be caused by a heatsink that isn't sufficiently flat against he CPU. Just a shot in the dark though, based on the codes you mentioned.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

I checked the manual and to replace the rct battery requires taking the laptop completely apart. If the rct battery was finished the date usually goes back to when the laptop was originally built. Heatsink fan works. Run diagnostics on cpu and motherboard and found no problem. The only answer right now is that the cpu might be starting to fail or the heatsink needs to be reset.