Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

HP G71-449WM will not power on at all.Please Help!

This is a discussion on HP G71-449WM will not power on at all.Please Help! within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, my friend dropped off their Hp G71 laptop to me to fix. I fear the motherboard has failed. Could

Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, my friend dropped off their Hp G71 laptop to me to fix. I fear the motherboard has failed.

Could i please get some help?

The machine acts like its not getting any power. The LED lights that indicate it is charging does not light up when plugged in. Since it won't power the power light or hdd light doesn't come on either. when the battery is inserted, the led light on the power jack doesn't light up either. with no battery inserted the light turns on solid for about 5 seconds, then turns off.

I have tried a hard reset(removing battery and charger, holding power button down for 1 min) - no progress

I have removed the HDD, RAM, CMOS battery, power drained the sun of a gun. attempted to power it on without battery - no beep codes, no flashing led lights. of course i reseated everything.

I have tested the output of the power adapter. 18.5 just like it should be.

I don't have any spare parts for this model.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I thought the gpu maybe needed a reflow, but i want to avoid that at almost all cost.

Thank you in advance for whomever provides help.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Is this a known good AC Adapter? Does the DC Jack on the motherboard appear to be faulty i any way?

With everything stripped and you still get no LED's blinking or solid then you are most likely looking at motherboard failure.

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting

HP G71 Maintenance and Service Guide

Old 01-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you makinu1der2 for you quick reply. i was afraid the motherboard had failed.

It is a known good charger because i tested it with my multimeter. Thank you again for your effort.

I found it fishy that the led light on the jack would come on for 5 seconds then shut off, but only when the battery is pulled out.

Anywho, i will just tell her she is out of luck. She bought 3 of these models a few years ago for her kids. this was the last to fail. when are they going to start designing them to withstand normal usage?! oh well, cheers!