Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

hp dv6700 will not power up

This is a discussion on hp dv6700 will not power up within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi all my laptop was working great and then i tripped on the cord and the computer would not recognize

Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi all my laptop was working great and then i tripped on the cord and the computer would not recognize that the ac adapter was plugged in, then the battery died and now when pressing the power button the battery light blinks 3 times. if i take out the battery i get nothing, the blue ring on the plug lights up but i still get nothing. so i though it was the dc power board so i ordered a new one and installed it but it did not fix my problem.

when i removed the old board i noticed that the negative side of the power connector going to the Motherboard was burnt, both the mother board pins and the connector are black. i tired cleaning the motherboard side with rubbing alcohol but i could not get anything to come off. also i could not get anything small enough to fit in there.

so do you thing that my problem could be stemming from these blackened connectors? before the battery died the computer was running fine so i thing the motherboard is still ok.

my next plan of attack is to get some electrical contact cleaner and perhaps sand paper and see if i can get the pins clean. is it safe to use contact cleaner on a Motherboard?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
when i removed the old board i noticed that the negative side of the power connector going to the Motherboard was burnt, both the mother board pins and the connector are black. i tired cleaning the motherboard side with rubbing alcohol but i could not get anything to come off. also i could not get anything small enough to fit in there.
Possible the connector or pin were damaged. Are you using the old cables to connect the power board?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

i was using new connectors that came with the new dc power board. i got some electrical contact cleaner today that i am going to spray on the old connector and use it to try and get the black off the motherboard
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

well i took humpty dumpty apart again and cleaned the contacts as best as i could and still no joy. so im trying to decided if i want to spend 100 bucks on a new motherboard or just call it a paperweight. anything else you guys think i should try before ordering?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Hardware Tech Team

My System

At this point I would also suspect the motherboard as causing your problem.

It appears that you have already tried other options and narrowed it down to the board.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

if you will look at the history of the dv6000 series you will also find that they have a history of doing the exact thing. One moment it's working and the next it just never turns on again. I know because I had two of them. Never buy the dv6000 series.