Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

HP DV5 1120el lapTop

This is a discussion on HP DV5 1120el lapTop within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everybody One day my laptop did not stop so I had to force it off. After that it did

Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everybody

One day my laptop did not stop so I had to force it off. After that it did not power on anymore.

The power supply is ok (white led on power socket is lit) and the internal +VIN signal is 19V.

I have found a pdf file with electronic drawings (attached first page, block diagram) but some parts listed in the schematics are not installed in the MoBo (attached pict) so I can't trace the signals correctly.

Anybody could help?

Thank in advance,
Tiz

Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Hello,

What block diagram are you using? Maybe it is not the correct one?

Is this the one you are using here?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank for answering.

My mobo has Intel CPU and Nvidia 512MB integrated. The schematic I use is "Qanta QT6 Feb2008, Rev.1" (if you need I can send it by p.m.). I've found many other differences among my mobo and QT6 schematic but could be due to many version/revision they've made.

Based on my checking the fault should be chip PU2. Schematic, on pag 39, shows a ISL6237IRZ-T while my board has a RT8206B installed (Richtek Technology Corporation : Products : RT8206A/RT8206B). Exactly same circuitry is on your schematics for AMD, on page 33, with PU8 chip, a similar ISL6237 (I wonder what is installed in the mobo: a RT8206 ?).

Anyway, PU2-RT8206B chip seems to be the main power supply, since it has an internal fixed regulator that immediately produces +5V LDO used by power switch and kb/peripheral chip. After pwr +5V is generated, an internal switch bypass this LDO to it.

These my findings:
pin6 VIN = is 20V as expected to supply the chip;
pin7 LDO = no voltage, while it should start immediately with +5V, 70mA capable.

Some say that RT8206B and ISL6237 are interchangeable but I cannot find none of them on the market. So, I should either buy a new mobo or a faulty one to retrieve the chip but is a mess since many mobo have either no Nvidia or weaker version or, worse, AMD cpu. About getting a faulty board, the risk is to get one with the same fault.

Any suggestion?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

@makinu1der2
I forgot to thank you for the link reporting all the schematics.
Very nice and useful.
thank again
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Anyone knows whether these chips are interchangeable?

RT8206B - ISL6237 - TPS51427

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/121...6237tps514.png

Thank in advance