Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

how to take apart keyboard

This is a discussion on how to take apart keyboard within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have a hp pavillion dv6000 laptop. does somebody no how to tkae apart the keyboard? a friend looked at

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have a hp pavillion dv6000 laptop. does somebody no how to tkae apart the keyboard? a friend looked at it for me and he said there was gook built up underneath the keyboard and i wanted to clean it. thank

jon

Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmchugh View Post
i have a hp pavillion dv6000 laptop. does somebody no how to tkae apart the keyboard? a friend looked at it for me and he said there was gook built up underneath the keyboard and i wanted to clean it. thank

jon
download the dv6000 service manual here.

it has all the removal/assembly instructions that you may need if you want to open up the laptop.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

In most cases to remove a laptop keyboard, it requires removing the screws that hold the hinge covers. Once the covers are removed the laptop screen/cover can lay flat.

Typically the bezel that contains the power buttons and other items located just above the function keys is removable by simply prying it loose with a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver.

Once that bezel is removed you'll notice (usually) four small #1 phillips screws that look to be holding the top edge of the keyboard.

Once those screws are removed the keyboard can come out with some pulling towards the screen.

Be careful though as the keyboard is connected to the motherboard via a very thin and fragile printed-circuit foil ribbon cable.

To remove the cable from the socket some mobos require pulling a small white tab that acts like a locking mechanism to hold the cable in place. Others simply use a push in ribbon cable connection.

Once removed you're free to do whatever you want to do with that keyboard.

But whatever you do DON'T force anything. Every laptop is put together differently.