Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to engage external monitor on Dell Latitude D800?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  zeiz 
#1 ·
I got D800 with dead display and no OS.
I hopped to buy new lcd panel but was surprised that it would cost more than this laptop's current value but used panels are also about 50-60 bucks and are in suspicious conditions. So the hunting for good used panel will take me a while...
In meantime I tried external monitor and it didn't work.
On this forum I read that it's possible to use external monitor on HP to enter bios. If so it's also possible to install XP. I tried fn-F7, fn-F8 with no luck. Unfortunately I don't even know current bios settings.
May be you know guys how to engage external monitor on D800?

#3 ·
Thanks! The guides are very useful especially when taking the thing apart.
The display is disconnected already - no luck.
I found here this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/dell-latitude-d800-issue-553773.html
Looks like the guy had the same problem as me, I only have no even ghost image to try change bios settings.
If somebody here with working machine could guide me "blind" ... F2, --> 2 times, Enter, down arrow 3 times... etc something like this to at least change boot sequence (hdd is first now) if there is no settings to change default monitor...may be it is...
BTW it looks like dead screen is very common problem for this machine. Since 1997 I had only 3
laptops - Sony Vaio and 2 IBM/Lenovo. I still have IBM TP 560E w/win98 and it works like new.
Never even hear about invertor, backlight ... :)
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.