Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Help with permanently disabling laptop screen

This is a discussion on Help with permanently disabling laptop screen within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell Inspiron 1525 Hello, so I have a problem. A few months ago, my laptop screen was destroyed. I removed

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Dell Inspiron 1525

Hello, so I have a problem. A few months ago, my laptop screen was destroyed. I removed it completely and kept it connected to an external monitor, which worked (and still works) fine with Windows 7, by using the F1 hotkey to switch monitor modes. However, I recently installed Ubuntu Server (command-line only), and I can't get the external monitor to show up. There aren't any BIOS options concerning the LCD/monitor options. I've tried nearly everything I can think of, and the only solution I could come up with that might work is permanently disabling the laptop screen (keeping it from being recognized by anything and defaulting to the external, similar to a desktop computer). I tried doing this by removing the thin ribbon cable that was plugged into the motherboard, but the laptop still thinks the screen is there. I'm sure there has to be a way to do this, but I can't figure it out. Help, please?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello ThisIsOvertone and welcome to TSF,

Very rarely do I come across a computer that will not default to the external port when the internal display is removed and disconnected.

Can you access the BIOS or POST information on the external?
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote